Airhead respray in red or white?

Two wheels good

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having second thoughts about respraying my trusty R100GS in alpine white. Maybe the original red would be nicer and more original.
(The previous owner chose washing-machine white and KTM orange)

Initially, I was only going to do a DIY job in white on the front-end but one sheet of sandpaper led to another and now I've opted for a professional job.

Any comments to help my decision?
With the HPN tank it's difficult to imagine the end result. If any one has an airhead with HPN in red or white I'd be keen to see a photo.

Thanks
David

Attachments

• r100gs 044.jpg
    r100gs 044.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 558
Hmmmm can see why you would want to change it:D Trouble is the 43ltr tank is not the prettiest thing and I feel it needs to be broken up into different colours, Like the Dakar bikes. I have one in black but it is broken up somewhat with yellow stickers( R100GS).. Ive always fancied the "Deacon" colours. White and blue with the little flags shading from red to blue. I recon the hpn tank would look great like that.
Whatever you do.. Post the pics..

Hi Two Wheels Good.

Concerning the colour I would go with red!

SD531032.jpg
BamBam and the short one (me)

Can you post some close up pictures of how you have got the HPN tank on, with the GS fairing and crash bar. As I have not managed to get mine on yet because the fairing etc do not allow the tank to fit.

P.S. I am going for white tank and rear mudguard and black front mudguard and black brush guards. That is when the bike works proper like and does not require another engine

Why not go with both? I've always thought the 1100GS (anniversary?) red and white was a great colour scheme. It would help break up the bulk of that big old tank, too :thumb

R1100GS1.jpg

Pluck

Thanks

Thanks for those useful replies.
Breaking up the colour on the ugly tank is a good idea but it adds to cost. I like the 1100GS red and white too. Almost bought one once.

Lilith, would you have any side-on shots of that red GS? Maybe you're on the blue.
(I have a high mudguard too and think white or black is best)

regards
David

update

Lilith
My bull-bar is a one-off fabrication - well made but not pretty. At top and side it attaches at the same points as the original. At the bottom it attaches to a bracket welded to each engine bar. See photos.
The tank is attached as normal but, as you know, there is no room to attach bull-bar to the
frame down-tube. I have a spare OEM bull-bar and considered cutting the end off and adapting it but will probably live with what I have.

AFAIK the faring side panels need to shaved a little at the trailing edge to accommodate the
wider tank

I'll pm bab-bam for some photos - now that i've read your post fully

David

Attachments

• GS bull bar 0511.jpg
    GS bull bar 0511.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 462
  • GS bullbar 009.jpg
    GS bullbar 009.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 475
Dave I wheeled her out for some Pics... The red is stock BMW Red for a GS.
DSCF3018.jpg

DSCF3019.jpg

DSCF3020.jpg

DSCF3021.jpg

DSCF3022.jpg

DSCF3023.jpg
The stripe is a stock 1000cc R100GS 90 decal to break up the Red!!:D

Hope this helps
Cain

Thanks for the info David

I was going to sort out the pictures of the red GS but the old git got there first ;)

And yes I am on the PURPLE GS, the one that keeps requiring new engines :mad:

Michele

pic of my old 91 airhead with HPN. I think white will look like shite after it gets microscratches with dirt in them. Red will tolerate the dirt a bit better and it's a lot better on the eye which is why red cars on average get higher prices than white cars in car auctions.

Attachments

• R100gsHPN3.jpg
    R100gsHPN3.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 441
The end result ..

..almost. I need to apply badges and tank pad
After some indecision I decided to stay with white.

David

Attachments

• R100GS RHS small.jpg
    R100GS RHS small.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 342
A very good choice if I may say so. Just get a bit of Flash green to make it perfect. I am a little biased though. ;)

That does look very good, I reallyt like the front fairing. I still think it would look good with some colour in the form of decals or something to break it up a bit.. How about the old motoquip, orange and blue stripe.

To fit BMW R100GS 1990 fairing with HPN 43lt tank

Fabricated straight bar fits behind the forks (its very close...about a 1mm behind the fork on full lock steering)...The bar is the same diameter as the existing fairing frame bars...

You need to weld a bracket to fit the bar to the short crossbar that links the 2 frame sides together (where the horn sits)...Also weld 2 small brackets to secure the fairing...Then you can insert a threaded bar through the centre of the new mod so you can secure the 2 'down' bars to the mod...

Ive had this mod for 15 years so it definately works well...and is better asthetically...

I've had folks tell me that this mod looks standard so it is a pretty good compromise...

My brother has the same model GS for 15 years with the same mod for the HPN 43lt tank...

flYQ91e.jpg

XKV3rNH.jpg

vwY3dr8.jpg

0cEsS6j.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom