Changing from 1200GS to 1290SAS

Steve 63

Reaction score
Hi all, i know a few have done this i have a deal on the table about to hit the button.

Anyone had any regrets and gone back to the BMW?

Had a great test ride on Monday unbelievable engine, excited me like the BMW couldnt, and it was good to ride sensibly too.

Only downside was bloody rock hard seat arse ache after 1 1/2 hrs but hopefully an ergo seat should sort that.

BMW after 10 years ownership of 5 1200GS's have been a great do it all comfortable bike, but they have now priced themselves out of my reach :comfort

Thoughts please deal to be done tomorrow, sleepless night ahead................................

I jumped ship two years ago, took a 1250 GS out for a test ride in January, and ordered another 1290. That’s after owning 8 GS’s. Says all you need to know. ;)

I`m tempted too. I had the 1090 adventure 5 when it came out but found it too snappy, not good weather protection and therefore not so good for touring but fun for quick blasts. I went back to 1200 GSA which felt like a sofa afterwards but there lies the problem...
a V8 defender is more fun than a V8 range rover..

I would say that if you regularly do LONG distance motorway touring go with BM mainly for torque and weather protection but for general riding the new KTM`s are more fun.

i just need convincing about build quality..

I would say that if you regularly do LONG distance motorway touring go with BM mainly for torque and weather protection but for general riding the new KTM`s are more fun.

i just need convincing about build quality..

Sums it up quite well although I'd say if you're doing lots of M-way work get a car ;) bikes are for riding and having fun.

Build quality is overall pretty good on KTMs and in my experience way better than WMB.

Andres

I am surprised how good my 1190R is on the motorway. Did 550 mile day on Autoroute in company with GSs last year and it was fine.

my preferred playgrounds are Northern Spain / Pyrenees and Norway
due to time restrictions I blast down the motorway to "get there" . On the GSA i can just about do 1000 motorway miles in a single push (to get to top of Denmark) without any pains or issues so i wonder if anyone has modified a 1290 SAR or SAS to aid rider wind protection such as winglets seen on the GSA or new AT ? Once at the venue it doesn`t matter as in the twisties or tracks.

Went from GS to Super Tenere to KTM 1190 - can't see me ever going back to BMW, tested the last of the 1200LC BMW's and it was slow and boring compared to the 1190, only good thing I could say about the BMW was it felt smoother at low revs...

...the KTM 1290S engine is noticeably smoother than my 1190, and where the 1190 matched the BMW ow down and mullered it everywhere else, the 1290 has a LOT more grunt from tickover.

I have done six trips abroad on my 1190 and think it is fine for protection and comfort (once the stock seats have been replaced) it also has a better fuel range than the standard GS, weighs less, handles better - and is WAY more fun once you get to the mountains.

We liked the 1190 so much we kept it, for a while we had a 1090 alongside the 1190, but when it came to buying the 1290 we both agreed although the 1090 was a great bike it was not an awesome one, when not touring I expect to use the 1190 quite a bit as it is still so much fun, but I think the 1290 is that bit more refined and therefore less of a culture shock for those coming from a GS.

my preferred playgrounds are Northern Spain / Pyrenees and Norway
due to time restrictions I blast down the motorway to "get there" . On the GSA i can just about do 1000 motorway miles in a single push (to get to top of Denmark) without any pains or issues so i wonder if anyone has modified a 1290 SAR or SAS to aid rider wind protection such as winglets seen on the GSA or new AT ? Once at the venue it doesn`t matter as in the twisties or tracks.

I rode my 1290R to Spain and back a few times with no issues.
I liked the small screen on the R and the clean air over the rider is better for me than some stupid big screen ,like on a GSA that just gives buffeting on your lid and makes your lower back ache after a long day.

Less is more !!!

Since pissing about with various sized screens on my 1190S and then finding the stock screen on my 1190R perfectly acceptable, I've come to the conclusion that massive protection from big screens is somewhat overrated to say the least. My R screen is just as comfy to ride behind as the stock screen on my old 1200GSA Hexheads.

YMMV.

Yes I changed from 1200 GSA to 1290 SA-T, then back to a new 1200 GSA (they practically gave it to me, i wiped out 2 years depreciation with that deal), now I’m back on the 1290 SA-R.

The KTM is just better for me - I fit it perfectly with the higher ergo seat, the performance is much more to my taste, and I think the engine and frame are better quality finish. And there isn’t one parked up in every Starbucks. Plus I have Premier bikes 4 miles up the road and have been dealing with Andy for over 20 years now.

Annoying things are the poor aesthetics (that brake fluid reservoir?!) the unmatched mirror mounts and the lack of a whiz wheel jobbie - all first world problems in my book.

It makes me laugh out loud every time I ride it, none of my BMW’s Including my first R80 G/S did that.

I’m more comfortable on the KTM - but then I’m a 6’3” freak. The screen options aren’t great, and the R screen with an MRA X-creen touring seems the best combo. I currently have the MRA Vario fitted but that will be coming off soon.

The next mission is to get the suspension sorted - the rear spring is way too puny for a 110 kg strapping fella like me, so I’m on a mission to get that sorted with help from MH racing in Wilts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the comments deal should be done this afternoon, very pleased with the figures. Getting an 18 model as i prefer the colour and deal :JB
Will miss the BMW like throwing away an old pair of slippers for a pair of running shoes :banana

Did you get the quick shift fitted? I didn’t originally, but got the software enabled last weekend. Outstanding!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I did
What I love about it is you can ride it sensibly and smooth or absolutely mental. Wish I had done it 2 years ago when I nearly did but got another GS
The gear box is silky smooth compared to the GS

Don't get me going on the BM gear box .... :D

..... the R screen with an MRA X-creen touring seems the best combo. I currently have the MRA Vario fitted but that will be coming off soon.

Have you any pictures please? I have a tinted MRA X-creen Touring (big one) but it won’t fit SA R Screen.

5b4f50ce5a99fd650f9a1d78c2e13c05.jpg
5553e4eeff6cf7997c0c5afc5c0b4c53.jpg
a4c41eec65555c2ccda1884522b77f80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom