BMW R1200GSA Water cooled Panniers & Top box - LEAKING!

Silver Rat

Reaction score
I bought a 2016 GSA in September 2018 and in March bought new Aluminium Panniers and Top Box from BMW.

Two weeks ago, whilst the bike was outside a hotel in then pouring rain, I found about 1 litre of water in the LH [large] pannier. The other pannier and top box were ok. It had been parked on its side stand.

On returning home, I placed the items on the patio one afternoon, whilst it was raining. All 3 cases leaked!

I took them to the local dealer, who agreed that they should be replaced under warranty!

This afternoon, I picked up the new cases and thought I would test them, simply by leaving them under the garden sprinkler for a couple of hours! No pressure washing, just simulating rain. Guess, what? Yes two of the cases leaked!!

I am going away in 6 days time to Norway on the bike for a month. The cases are not fit for purpose and the dealer is now closed for the day. I will be calling the dealer in the morning!

I know I am not the first to have problems, but I want to reject them but need them for my trip!!

Bumot Panniers currently have a 4 week backlog!!!! Agh!!

Any suggestions other than to pack gear in plastic bags?

I bought a 2016 GSA in September 2018 and in March bought new Aluminium Panniers and Top Box from BMW.

Two weeks ago, whilst the bike was outside a hotel in then pouring rain, I found about 1 litre of water in the LH [large] pannier. The other pannier and top box were ok. It had been parked on its side stand.

On returning home, I placed the items on the patio one afternoon, whilst it was raining. All 3 cases leaked!

I took them to the local dealer, who agreed that they should be replaced under warranty!

This afternoon, I picked up the new cases and thought I would test them, simply by leaving them under the garden sprinkler for a couple of hours! No pressure washing, just simulating rain. Guess, what? Yes two of the cases leaked!!

I am going away in 6 days time to Norway on the bike for a month. The cases are not fit for purpose and the dealer is now closed for the day. I will be calling the dealer in the morning!

I know I am not the first to have problems, but I want to reject them but need them for my trip!!

firstly - im amazed you got a warranty replacement - we all need to know who that dealer is.

usually they say "BMW don't sell them as waterproof" (which in fairness, they don't but they're bloody expensive and you'd think job no.1 would be to not let water in!

on mine - non-exhaust side lets in a couple hundred ml overnight - the exhaust side seems not to leak at all and the top-box only a little bit

the "solution" is to buy the BMW inner-bags which are the roll-top type and waterproof. seems ridiculous but that's what i have done.

My understanding is that the panniers themselves are not guaranteed to be water tight and that’s why I bought waterproof bags.

Mine never leaked until the bike rolled off its side stand and the LH one now does.

Your choices are simple

Use them but wrap everything in waterproof bags before putting in the pannier -

When it rains and fills the pannier take piccys to show the dealer

Dont use them and return them to the dealer

Get a 50L roll bag, and strap it to your seat put everything in that

Always use waterproof inner bags, however, I've had sets of them on both an aircooled 1200 Adventure and a set used on two r1200gsa lc's and neither set have leaked including doing 200 miles last Wednesday in utterly biblical rain back up from Hull .

As for alternatives I have 2 Givi Trekker Outback top boxes one a 58 lt and the other a 42lt and neither leak

You probably already done this but make sure the rubber seals in the lids are seated correctly sometimes they can ruck up a bit. I have been lucky and never had a leak in any of my 4 sets on different gsa bikes.

There is only one way (in my humble opinion). Get the BMW oem innerbags.
They are waterproof and solid built. The design of the alu-cases means that although most of them holds out the water most of the time you can not be 100% sure.

Who have you tried for the Bumots ?

On my panniers (pre-LC) after much inspecting the leak is on the long side furthest away from the bike. Worse on the bigger pannier. Solution is every time you close the lid is make sure the the lid and side seals are properly mated - a thump on the side usually fixes it if they aren’t mates.

Thanks gents for all your replies.

I have emailed the dealer with videos of the water inside. I tried to post here but it was an MP4 format and it wouldn't allow me???

The Burmot panniers were from the Adventure Bike Shop, which I believe are the sole UK importers?? They say..."We have had an unexpected rush of sales for the GSA panniers in all colours and are now looking at about four weeks delay from order".

I have inner bags but they will not be waterproof and I do not want to go to the expense of buying BMW ones [at the moment].

The seals are seated perfectly and looks that they should work? Cant imagine its the rivets, due to the amount of water they let in!!

Ideally I want to reject them totally as not fit for purpose, but i need something for next week. I will see what the dealer says in the morning.

Interestingly, Bahnstormers, BMW Motorrad website, advertises the panniers as follows............ " These are the aluminium side cases for your R1200GSA LC (2014-later). They’re rugged and weatherproof, with a huge carrying capacity, they are a perfect fit for your GS Adventure LC"

Weatherproof means rain? Yes??

Keep you posted.

Thanks gents for all your replies.

I have emailed the dealer with videos of the water inside. I tried to post here but it was an MP4 format and it wouldn't allow me???

The Burmot panniers were from the Adventure Bike Shop, which I believe are the sole UK importers?? They say..."We have had an unexpected rush of sales for the GSA panniers in all colours and are now looking at about four weeks delay from order".

I have inner bags but they will not be waterproof and I do not want to go to the expense of buying BMW ones [at the moment].

Ideally I want to reject them totally as not fit for purpose, but i need something for next week. I will see what the dealer says in the morning.

Keep you posted.

Bumot deliver directly Worldwide, just email them and say it is urgent, bet you get them quick, they are saying 10 days on their website.

info@bumot.eu

https://shop.bumot.eu/en/home.html

Regarding changing to Bumots:

OP seems to want to solve the problem without a costly solution.

I have no experience with the Bumots, but judging by the expressed experience from happy users they are ok.

By looking at them, I would not buy them, for one reason only. The lid rests on a flange, This flange makes it easier to waterproof the case. If you put in items one by one that is a great way to seal the lid.
For my self, I prefer to use an innerbag. I pack the bag inside and bring it to the bike. Sliding a bag into a case with a flanged is a pain, getting it out is even worse.

The BMW case does not have a flange sealing the lid. This is its strong point, but also it's weak point. Putting in the innerbag is a breeze compared to cases with flanged lid. But waterproofing is a disaster. No matter what you do, sooner or later you will experience water leak in a BMW case. That is why you want (need) a solid waterproof innerbag.

As much as OP does not want to spend money on waterproof innerbags, what are the options?
Get a new case again? You can NEVER trust the BW cases to sty dry in heavy rain. Most of them do, most of the time, but the design that makes the loading so easy will sooner or later play a trick on you.
Change to cases of a different brand? Will cost more than waterproof innerbags. And a flanged lid that ensures waterproofing will also be a pain every time you try to pull the innerbag out of there.

Only OP will know how he prefers to use the boxes. I've merely pointed out the differences. As a big guy I'm sure OP will make the decision that suits him best.

Best of luck to OP, and I hope he will enjoy his vacation.

Hi folks, I called the dealer yesterday and told them that I was rejecting the BMW case, which were not fit for purpose....Eventually after a couple of calls, trying to find someone to make a decision, they said I would get my money back!

I ordered the Bumots, which arrive here on Monday! It is next day delivery normally except for weekends.

I am chuffed and am looking forward to having dry pants!!!

But as knutk says, I too have reservations about the flange and making it harder to get the inner bags out! l pack an inner bag and slide it into the case, but getting it out may be a problem??? Will just have to wait and see!

I think that is a better problem to possible have than wet clothing! Two of the leaking cases had more than a pint of water in them and no matter how waterproof inner bags may be, water would still no doubt find its way in??

Thanks for comments. Norway, here I come!

Hi folks, I called the dealer yesterday and told them that I was rejecting the BMW case, which were not fit for purpose....Eventually after a couple of calls, trying to find someone to make a decision, they said I would get my money back!

I ordered the Bumots, which arrive here on Monday! It is next day delivery normally except for weekends.

I am chuffed and am looking forward to having dry pants!!!

But as knutk says, I too have reservations about the flange and making it harder to get the inner bags out! l pack an inner bag and slide it into the case, but getting it out may be a problem??? Will just have to wait and see!

I think that is a better problem to possible have than wet clothing! Two of the leaking cases had more than a pint of water in them and no matter how waterproof inner bags may be, water would still no doubt find its way in??

Thanks for comments. Norway, here I come!

Have you looked at the Bumot inner bags, I have them and they are very good indeed, and the little bags that fit in the lids are great for storing paperwork,

https://shop.bumot.eu/en/catalog/cid/125.html

Back
Top Bottom