Shaft inspection and re-greese

It splits....

>>> the rear rubber boot

that the shaft sheers off..... AND IT WILL EVENTUALLY.

Not an ideal situation for a bike OWNER.

Oh OK,so its the rubber boot ......
I think BMW would have realised that riders now and then get wet, ride through a river etc ....... Or maybe they didnt:D

Anyone on here had their shaft "Sheer off" :nenau

Oh OK,so its the rubber boot ......
I think BMW would have realised that riders now and then get wet, ride through a river etc ....... Or maybe they didnt:D

Riding through rivers, and getting wet, again isn't the issue.

It's the shaft housing holding water, which then causes problems. It shouldn't be holding water !!

So we're trying to either

a) Keep the water out !!
b) Let the water out !!

Anyone on here had their shaft "Sheer off" :nenau

Yes they have, it's in this thread somewhere.... but again, that's not the main driver to finding a fix for this. It's the annoying split boot issue, which is a £50 item and a shed load of hassle.

Once we've found a fix, it'll all be forgotten in an instant.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/505072-Got-Shaft-Rot-again-WTF?highlight=shaft+sheer

Im sure more Left indicator bulbs have blown than a drive shaft.........

Im not having a dig, I just don't understand this particular issue.

I'm sure those at BMW would have had this on their drawing boards.............:thumb

You mean finally admit to having a design fault, not in their management book, have they ever admitted anything, before it made mainstream headlines, we are building a Steve Austin bike, for better or worse, we shall see.

Im sure more Left indicator bulbs have blown than a drive shaft.........

Im not having a dig, I just don't understand this particular issue.

Yeah I agree... and that's not why we're persuing it... I want my bike to be fit and healthy, so it lasts me a long time.

Not rotting from the inside out :D

Regrettably I sold her on five years ago. And I do regret that. So wished id have kept her. She took me everywhere, Africa, Asia and all of Europe. She is still going today. Apologies for not being able to see the shaft drive. Its on the other side ! and in a shaft cover that looks like a muscle arm !
Shaft drive will be fine. Its not a problem, only in your head :thumb

Lovely bike and dare I say much prettier than the newer ones?

I'm sure those at BMW would have had this on their drawing boards.............:thumb

Well they've done nothing from the transition from R1200 to R1250.

It's still the same.

Yeah I agree... and that's not why we're persuing it... I want my bike to be fit and healthy, so it lasts me a long time.

Preventative maintenance is always the best way to keep a bike running well for hopefully fewer nasty surprises down the line :thumb2

Trouble is too many bike owners still don't accept that a bike needs any more than a car which has never ever been the case. Bikes operate in a more exposed environment often under greater stress and often with more parts exposed to damage/corrosion. When I had to rely on a bike for commuting long distances I remember spending part of every weekend in at least a full clean down/inspection/minor work even if it was just re-lubing a chain or making minor adjustments here and there. Once a year I'd strip all the bodywork off, inspect and replace any dodgy wiring connections, treat any hidden corrosion and repaint of needed, replace batteries (used to go through one every year or two at least), give the bike a full service and always change oil intermittently every 6 months regardless of mileage travelled (which was a lot in those days). Had fewer problems with my bikes then than some seem to today!

The point im trying to make. Is this. I never ever looked or even considered to look at my 1150 (or any other) drive shaft. But i bet if I did, it would be rusty, wet, dirty whatever ?????
It wasn't, isn't an issue. Ill go look at my van drive shaft right now, that hasn't even got a cover on it !

The point im trying to make. Is this. I never ever looked or even considered to look at my 1150 (or any other) drive shaft. But i bet if I did, it would be rusty, wet, dirty whatever ?????
It wasn't, isn't an issue. Ill go look at my van drive shaft right now, that hasn't even got a cover on it !

Yes but water can escape on your van. The GS will rust a hell of a lot quicker, a perfect storm, nice and moist with warm temperatures....

Any area where water is trapped will rust 10 fold

Yes but water can escape on your van. The GS will rust a hell of a lot quicker, a perfect storm, nice and moist with warm temperatures....

Any area where water is trapped will rust 10 fold

but does it matter ?

but does it matter ?

Yes. If for any reason the shaft needs removing for a UJ bearing replacement or some such maintenance, or where the gearbox needs stripped down, it's pretty handy to be able to remove the shaft! I'd not be happy to find mine a rusting hulk. Mine has covered 16K miles and whilst I've checked the joints which show no signs of damage, I'll be asking BMW to remove and inspect the shaft at the next service, and to replace and regrease gators as well as smothering the shaft in ACF or XCP Professional. That and to check camshaft alignment.

How long have you been riding BMW Shaft drive bikes ?

Best regular remove the exhaust manifold bolts and grease them too ?

Yes. If for any reason the shaft needs removing for a UJ bearing replacement or some such maintenance, or where the gearbox needs stripped down, it's pretty handy to be able to remove the shaft! I'd not be happy to find mine a rusting hulk. Mine has covered 16K miles and whilst I've checked the joints which show no signs of damage, I'll be asking BMW to remove and inspect the shaft at the next service, and to replace and regrease gators as well as smothering the shaft in ACF or XCP Professional. That and to check camshaft alignment.

As I've said. This is a manufactured issue.
Completely unnecessary.
Ride it and dont worry about it.

I think that the subtleties are that it is a very real issue, however, it's whether it worries you as the owner that is the deciding factor whther you'll want anything done about it. My own humble view is that my mechanical ocd would like to see my bike stay as mint as I can keep it as I've always wanted to take meticulous care of my vehicles. A hang-up from 10 years of relying on my bike as my daily transport.

Back
Top Bottom