1250 GS Rallye vs S1000XR

Urban Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, i've been riding GSs of one form or another for the past 13 years or so. Started with the 1150 GSA SE then on to a 1200 GSA LC and now, most recently the 1250 GS Rallye. I've loved them all but i'm starting to wobble a little. Don't get me wrong they've all been fantastic bikes and each version has been an improvement over the previous version.. A friend of mine popped round at the weekend and he rides a S1000XR in the HP colours. He's added a few farkles and it has an Akra system (full) fitted to it. I heard him coming from the top of the road and went out to meet him and took a real shine to the XR. It looks great and the exhaust note sounds amazing even on tick over.. I really like the look of them and compared to the GS they look like they have the same riding position etc.

I never take my GS off road, it's used for the odd commute and touring holidays in Europe both in hotels and camping.. So i was wondering how the XR would compare to the GS for this type of use? In my eyes it's definitely more road focussed but appears to have similar touring capability although i'm not sure if it would accomodate all the camping gear compared to the GS?

Anyone jumped from the GS range to an XR? If so what are your thoughts?

Small fuel tank, shite panniers

Goes like cluck

Yes - from 1200GS TE to S1000XR and now back to 1250GS Rallye. The XR is definitely more road focussed but has indeed a very similar riding position to the GS although I found it slightly less comfortable over longer distances. More feel from the traditional front-end though. The XR is a great bike, pulls well but very quick if you want it to be and has a quick shifter that really works - much better than on the 1200 and better than the 1250 as well. GS luggage is probably better than the XR stuff but still plenty of room for 1 person's kit and 2 at a push. I think the main thing is whether you want the more manic, revvy ride of the XR or the more relaxed feel of the GS and how much you value the shaft drive of the GS over the chain on the XR. My view is clear - I just prefer the overall GS experience but there is not a lot in it. Try an XR and see what you think.

Good advice.. Thanks..

Yes - from 1200GS TE to S1000XR and now back to 1250GS Rallye. The XR is definitely more road focussed but has indeed a very similar riding position to the GS although I found it slightly less comfortable over longer distances. More feel from the traditional front-end though. The XR is a great bike, pulls well but very quick if you want it to be and has a quick shifter that really works - much better than on the 1200 and better than the 1250 as well. GS luggage is probably better than the XR stuff but still plenty of room for 1 person's kit and 2 at a push. I think the main thing is whether you want the more manic, revvy ride of the XR or the more relaxed feel of the GS and how much you value the shaft drive of the GS over the chain on the XR. My view is clear - I just prefer the overall GS experience but there is not a lot in it. Try an XR and see what you think.

Plenty of options pannier-wise.

MetalMule
Givi trekker or Givi Trekker Dolomiti
SW Motech
Shad
BMW OEM (made by Shad)

When you say wobble, is that due to the top heavy weight of the GS? If so, is it time to ditch the idea of camping and embrace old fartitude and use hotels?

I have steered away from Adventure bikes in recent years and I currently have a lowered XR which makes a great tourer but I have a maximum of a 45 litre topbox and 2x 21 litre side cases (all Givi Monokey).

I also have a R1200RS and perhaps you should also consider this bike as well. It has the same motor and shaft drive of the GS and suspension more like the XR, with conventional forks. It has a lower riding position and is a bit lighter than the GS. If you do a lot of urban riding then the RS is the bike to have - the police SEG use them and seem to love them.

I often wonder which bike I would sell if I could only have one and I cannot come to a conclusion. I tested the new R1250RS recently but it is not enough of an improvement for me to change (I would need to part ex both 2016 bikes to change). Let's see if the new XR will be "the one".

I bought a new XR this year and I'm fortunate enough to own both the XR and a GSA (lots of nagging to the Boss - she gave in eventually). I wanted to keep the GSA, as I didn't want sellers remorse.

The XR is a brilliant bike, a hoot to ride, likely to lose you your licence if you have no restraint. It does have a small tank, at half full ive got no more than 75 miles left. a half tank on my GSA I 've still got 150+ mile range.

The quickshifter is ace on the XR, though i've nearly lunched my 2012 GSA gearbox twice from forgetting to use the clutch on gear changes. The engine is silky smooth and your can scream the nuts off it.

I rode the GSA to work this morning - it too is bloody brilliant.

If I HAD to choose? I don't know which I'd pick to be honest ..... probably the GSA .......

If you ride tha GS and the XR in the same fashion, then the fuel range is pretty much the same. Obviously the GSA has a 50% bigger tank so that isn't a fair comparison. I find the panniers on the XR are fine for travelling abroad, but my Givi Outbacks (binned the Varios) on the GS ARE bigger, and being squarer, lend themselves to getting more stuff in.
I have both.

Done the same Gs to the Xr and agree 170 miles is realistic, a lot more vibes to contend with I used heavy bar ends which helped. It feels a lot lighter than the Gs. I would have another but I’m riding the 1250 now and I’m really happy with it.
I will await the next update see what the improvements are..

One thing that really affects my decision is that its not abnormal to see GS about with 100k miles. The XR / RR engine is certainly one of the strongest race engines out there with longer rebuild intervals but I'd be concerned buying one with 30k plus miles on it.

The new engine is an absolute peach, its such effortless linear speed and power its ridiculous.

Did the exact swap (2017 Rallye to new XR HP) 400 miles ago. Farkled it up and ridden half a dozen times 3 x 50 mile boring trips, the rest on decent ride outs on twisties, which is where the XR is truly at home.

I was really unsure at first, but really wanted a change and like BMW bikes.

My main riding is two European 7 day trips a year, clocking up 3,500 - 4,000 miles and then a few hundred on the odd ride out. For that type of ownership, I wouldn't go back to a GS. I have learnt to pack small, so just a 20l rear bag, no panniers and for hotel travel, it gets me a weeks worth of gear, plus a puncture repair kit.

Riding position is really similar to a GS, but if I was a motorway rider, commuting, or planning to fill panniers, I would stick with a GS, as it really is just an easier thing all round, more tank range, shaft drive etc. But for a recreational toy, the XR is absolutely perfect. For me, it brings back the sports bike days, in a comfy frame.

Did the exact swap (2017 Rallye to new XR HP) 400 miles ago. Farkled it up and ridden half a dozen times 3 x 50 mile boring trips, the rest on decent ride outs on twisties, which is where the XR is truly at home.

I was really unsure at first, but really wanted a change and like BMW bikes.

My main riding is two European 7 day trips a year, clocking up 3,500 - 4,000 miles and then a few hundred on the odd ride out. For that type of ownership, I wouldn't go back to a GS. I have learnt to pack small, so just a 20l rear bag, no panniers and for hotel travel, it gets me a weeks worth of gear, plus a puncture repair kit.

Riding position is really similar to a GS, but if I was a motorway rider, commuting, or planning to fill panniers, I would stick with a GS, as it really is just an easier thing all round, more tank range, shaft drive etc. But for a recreational toy, the XR is absolutely perfect. For me, it brings back the sports bike days, in a comfy frame.

I am pretty sure you will love it in the long term, and it carries much more luggage than you are used to - easily.

One thing that really affects my decision is that its not abnormal to see GS about with 100k miles. The XR / RR engine is certainly one of the strongest race engines out there with longer rebuild intervals but I'd be concerned buying one with 30k plus miles on it.

The new engine is an absolute peach, its such effortless linear speed and power its ridiculous.

You might struggle to get good money, but I met a couple of lads a few years ago with 120,000m on a Suzuki GSXR K5 and 100,000m on a Yamaha YZF1000R-1 5VY. Each did their own maintenance, and only had one valve shimmed in that time.

I am pretty sure you will love it in the long term, and it carries much more luggage than you are used to - easily.

Thanks.

it has been a conscious decision with luggage. I used to take full adventure panniers and top box, reduced to just a top box and then a large dry bag in its place. Reduced each trip and my last trip was absolutely fine with a relatively small 18l SW-Moto rear seat bag (. I buy cheap tee shirts and grundies leaving them as I go, one pair of flip flops (yes, I am that man :D) and I am really pleased with myself. The addition of a tank bag sorts the rest.

That said, the XR has loads of carrying options, as you have said in another post, but the less is more kind of matches my whole reason for a swap.

Oh and shouldn't we have a pic...

It now has a carbon rear hugger and tail tidy. Last things to do is remove the fork reflectors and paint the belly pan in HP colours.

Back
Top Bottom