Booster plug

The key point here is that BMW ecu's have this feedback loop between lambda and mixture correction in simple terms. Other makes and models may well not. If it's a simple open loop system it will work fine.

The key point here is that BMW ecu's have this feedback loop between lambda and mixture correction in simple terms. Other makes and models may well not. If it's a simple open loop system it will work fine.

What other reason is there for a lambda sensor?

Thanks for the explanation , i thought the ecu worked from the mass air sender unit in the air box and adjusted the fueling from there , so , okay i have no reason to disbelieve you but if its reading from the information sent from the bikes sensor , why would it revert back as its now part of the fueling circuit.

Stick the MAF determines the volume of air entering the intake and gives that to the ecu to match the fuel to the intake volume. But the lambda then measures how much oxygen is in the exhaust gasses and corrects the ecu if the afr is outside of its parameters. So the buck stops with the lambda as the final say. The wide band lambda on the 1250 will be much better at that than before I suspect.

The altering of the air temp sensor via the plug would temporarily fool the fueling but the ecu would see that it has long term trim tables which are now at odds with the alteration. So it would correct the error via fueling to match its long term trim. It’s the manufacturers way of ensuring emission compatibility as components age and alter. As you probably know the euro regulations now require emission standards are met well into an engines life. If the booster plug comes with a way of clearing the long term trim I can see how it might work long term but Roger might know if that’s possible.

Stick the MAF determines the volume of air entering the intake and gives that to the ecu to match the fuel to the intake volume. But the lambda then measures how much oxygen is in the exhaust gasses and corrects the ecu if the afr is outside of its parameters. So the buck stops with the lambda as the final say. The wide band lambda on the 1250 will be much better at that than before I suspect.

The altering of the air temp sensor via the plug would temporarily fool the fueling but the ecu would see that it has long term trim tables which are now at odds with the alteration. So it would correct the error via fueling to match its long term trim. It’s the manufacturers way of ensuring emission compatibility as components age and alter. As you probably know the euro regulations now require emission standards are met well into an engines life. If the booster plug comes with a way of clearing the long term trim I can see how it might work long term but Roger might know if that’s possible.

That’s a good explanation of the how and why. The boosterplug has no ability to modify the Long Term Trims.

Here’s a way that one could use the BoosterPlug:

1) Start with no BP installed and ride the motorcycle for a few tanks of gas. This would develop good long term trims.

2) Disconnect the O2 sensors and install the BP.

That might work or might not, depending on the bike’s so-called Limp Home strategy without O2 sensors.

Periodically you could remove the BP and reattach the O2 sensors to rebuild the long term trims. And the go back to step 2.

But really, who’d do all that ...

My Booster Plug is still available FREE to anybody who wants it , see post 7 in this tread.

Thanks for the replies , it’s a shame that the company supplying these does not mention this .Email to the company I think , as they list it to be used on the 1250 with no mention that it won’t work .

Thanks for the replies , it’s a shame that the company supplying these does not mention this .Email to the company I think , as they list it to be used on the 1250 with no mention that it won’t work .

Frankly, I think what the BP company is doing is nasty.

In the description for the 1250 they promise a much smoother running engine, and claim that the engine OEM is way too lean, to a point that makes it not run properly at lower RPMs, which is not at all the case.
Further, in the Book that they so generously distribute for free, they talk about the lean running of the engine as running in the 'Danger zone', trying to give the impression that if you do not modify the fueling, the engine will potentially self destruct.
In the book, they also try to give the impression that there is no such thing as an ECU with the ability to adapt the fueling based on feedback from the O2 sensor.

All in all, I will claim that they are selling a product under a false pretense.

My claims this far are for the BMW ECU's. I do not have any experience with other brands. As it is the adaption that shoots down the BP, this means that on a bike with a none -adaptive ECU it might work as advertised.
The chances are that at least prior to 2016, when Euro 4 was introduced, the BP might work for some brands. But honestly, I don't think that BMW are more advanced than say Ducati, KTM and other major brands. And BMW introduced the adaptive ECU in 1989 in the K1, (But the ECU had the option of being non-adaptive, due to lack of O2 sensor. You could set the option inside the ECU by setting a jumper). In case of BMW I seem to recall that the cat was introduced in 1993, and the O2 sensor a couple of years later, thus the adaptions where activated mid-90's.

Looks like the HT route would be the correct way to go then as the tune / adaption would be in the ECU itself which would be at the base line of operation and adjusting the fuel map to allow the o2 sensors to operate at the correct level / mixture without the so called trick of the plug. Makes interesting reading that the HT route is possible as said above the ecu is adaptable and programmable and would allow a better trimmed fuel map . Mmmmmm makes you head spin .

I knew from the first post that was coming down the line. Some people have no shame.

I was hoping that the plug would do the same to be honest.

To be honest, it does.

Or, if you want some documented real effect, I suggest you climb down from the hill, and when you reach the Treetop level, they'll fix you up with a steady AFR 13.0 .

Looks like the HT route would be the correct way to go then as the tune / adaption would be in the ECU itself which would be at the base line of operation and adjusting the fuel map to allow the o2 sensors to operate at the correct level / mixture without the so called trick of the plug. Makes interesting reading that the HT route is possible as said above the ecu is adaptable and programmable and would allow a better trimmed fuel map . Mmmmmm makes you head spin .

We’ve just spent 30 posts dissecting a simple BoosterPlug, to help you be sure that it works. I believe most now see that in spite of all the rider testimonials, manufacturer advertising and claims, that it does nothing for any BMW motorcycle built after 1994 with a functioning O2 sensor.

I would hope that before you tried anyone’s re-flashing of your expensive ECU that you had similar resources applied to determine: what the flasher claims, that changes of the claimed type provide a performance benefit, and that what was claimed was actually done.

I have sent them an email with quotes from here to get them to explain to me why they say it does work. Will be interesting to see the response, if any.

Had the reply.

Hello Dave,

No need to worry - the BoosterPlug will do it’s job on your bike too :)

The BoosterPlug is designed to work in cooperation with the O2 sensors to give the engine the small controlled fuel enrichment where it needs it the most - here is how it works:

When you are riding the bike at constant speed on the open roads, the ECU can trust the o2 sensor signal and then it will let the O2 sensors control the mixture (This is called closed loop). The leaner mixture is fine here because the engine is running good under these conditions and dont need the richer mixture.

At idle, low RPM and during acceleration and deceleration, the ECU “Knows” that the O2 sensor signal is not stable and will/must ignore the O2 sensor feedback and rely on its mapping and input from various sensors (This is called open loop). This is where the BoosterPlug will make the air/fuel ratio slightly richer, and also where the engine needs the richer mixture.

So the BoosterPlug will make the mixture richer where the engine needs it the most, but stay inactive where the engine runs fine on the leaner mixture.

The discussion about the Fuel Injection ECU's ability to update its own basic fuel map (adaption or long term trim) is a rumor that pops up once in a while.

And for some reason it is only BMW motorcycles that are supposed to have this magical feature :)

But the common narrow band lambda sensor that is found in all road approved vehicles is not able to update the fuel map, so the BoosterPlug is not cancelled out over time.

And it’s actually quite simple to prove the adaption theory wrong:

• If you look at the millions of motorcycles with aftermarket exhausts installed, you will see (hear) that most of them have some degree of backfire or popping in the exhaust when the rider close the throttle.
• The aftermarket exhaust will flow a bit more air than the stock exhaust, and more air means that the air/fuel ratio (AFR) changes to the lean side - which causes the backfire on deceleration.
• If the adaption theory was right, the lambda sensor would sense the change in AFR, and the ECU would update it’s basic fuel map - and then the problem would be solved and there would be no more popping or backfire in the exhaust.
• But we all know that these bikes does not cure themself and the backfire stays the same over time - so there is no adaption proces taking place !!!
• And it is the same thing with the BoosterPlug: Our device is changing the AFR (This time to the better), but the Lambda sensor and he ECU will not be able to reverse the changes.

We have sold way over 45.000 units since we founded the BoosterPlug company in 2009, and our customers are as happy with the BoosterPlug in year 2-3-4 as they were on day one. And we have lots of returning customers purchasing their second or third BoosterPlug when they get a new bike. Fancy sales talk can usually fool a few people, but we would never have seen this massive support for our device if it stopped working after some time.

Best Regards

Jens Lyck

BoosterPlug.com
Slotsgade 3
4880 Nysted
Denmark

Ohh man, he's still grinding the same old organ...

Had the reply.

Hello Dave,

No need to worry - the BoosterPlug will do it’s job on your bike too :)

The BoosterPlug is designed to work in cooperation with the O2 sensors to give the engine the small controlled fuel enrichment where it needs it the most - here is how it works:

The BT is simply a resistor. It's a passive device, and holds no connection or regards to what the O2 sensor does.

When you are riding the bike at constant speed on the open roads, the ECU can trust the o2 sensor signal and then it will let the O2 sensors control the mixture (This is called closed loop). The leaner mixture is fine here because the engine is running good under these conditions and dont need the richer mixture.

This is all correct.
But he 'forget' to add that the fueling is correct since the added fuel due to faulty temp reading is compensated by the ShortTerm Trim (STT), which value is set by the ECU based on feedback from the O2 sensor. And since the ECU strives for a 0 value STT, this compensation is also stored in the Long Term Trim map (LTT), which is built by the ECU and continuously modified , and LTT trim is read along with the other maps in all conditions, including Open loop. ECU does however build the LTT table slowly. So at the first ride you might feel a difference, but then. ever so slowly, the effect from the BT is 100% cancled out.

By the way. The 1250 runs in Closed loop up to 100% throttle. This is made possible by the use of the Wide Band Lambda.

At idle, low RPM and during acceleration and deceleration, the ECU “Knows” that the O2 sensor signal is not stable and will/must ignore the O2 sensor feedback and rely on its mapping and input from various sensors (This is called open loop). This is where the BoosterPlug will make the air/fuel ratio slightly richer, and also where the engine needs the richer mixture.

Yes, this might be true for the first ride, but then the LTT kicks in ever so slowly, and at the end it's completely cancelled out.

So the BoosterPlug will make the mixture richer where the engine needs it the most, but stay inactive where the engine runs fine on the leaner mixture.
Nope!
See above

The discussion about the Fuel Injection ECU's ability to update its own basic fuel map (adaption or long term trim) is a rumor that pops up once in a while.

And for some reason it is only BMW motorcycles that are supposed to have this magical feature :)
Realy???
The Adaption is well documented, both by the ECU manufacturers and YT is loaded by Videos that demonstrates how the adaptions work in real life. It's used by cars and bikes.

And not by BMW only.
Euro 4, implemented in 2016 for bikes, demand the bike to be able to meet the requirements for the first 20 000km, and Euro 5, implemented 2020, demands the engine to meet the requrements for life of the engine.
This means that an engine from ANY brand needs to compensat for a clogged airfilter or a leak in the induction system. This will not be possible without adaption.

Keep repeating a lie does not make it true...

But the common narrow band lambda sensor that is found in all road approved vehicles is not able to update the fuel map, so the BoosterPlug is not cancelled out over time.

And it’s actually quite simple to prove the adaption theory wrong:

• If you look at the millions of motorcycles with aftermarket exhausts installed, you will see (hear) that most of them have some degree of backfire or popping in the exhaust when the rider close the throttle.

This happens to the OEM mufflers as well, and the OEM fueling is lean, no doubt, but it is not lean in a way that harms the engine. It's just not as rich as we would like it for a better driving engine.

• The aftermarket exhaust will flow a bit more air than the stock exhaust, and more air means that the air/fuel ratio (AFR) changes to the lean side - which causes the backfire on deceleration.
• If the adaption theory was right, the lambda sensor would sense the change in AFR, and the ECU would update it’s basic fuel map - and then the problem would be solved and there would be no more popping or backfire in the exhaust.
• But we all know that these bikes does not cure themself and the backfire stays the same over time - so there is no adaption proces taking place !!!
• And it is the same thing with the BoosterPlug: Our device is changing the AFR (This time to the better), but the Lambda sensor and he ECU will not be able to reverse the changes.

Ignoring facts in style :blagblah

We have sold way over 45.000 units since we founded the BoosterPlug company in 2009, and our customers are as happy with the BoosterPlug in year 2-3-4 as they were on day one. And we have lots of returning customers purchasing their second or third BoosterPlug when they get a new bike. Fancy sales talk can usually fool a few people, but we would never have seen this massive support for our device if it stopped working after some time.

Best Regards

Jens Lyck

BoosterPlug.com
Slotsgade 3
4880 Nysted
Denmark

The best I can say about this is that at least he responds to your email.

Alraedy say Hilttop and booster same rubbish, why this feels like Hilltop promotion, shood have said first.

Back
Top Bottom