Booster plug

stick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone tried one on the new 1250 GS as they now make one .
The feeling is great already but maybe could be made better as the device riches the mixture on a monitored system , similar to tunning houses making them less lean , but without the ecu remap route.
Stick

Is that from a fortune cookie lol
A tyre is just a tyre , but an improved one gives you more grip

I fitted one on my Africa Twin and if I’m honest couldn’t really tell a difference in performance, only fuel economy which was slightly worse, about 25 or so miles less per tank. Doesn’t sound a lot but noticeable nevertheless. Other people have said they have made big differences though so you decide. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried one on the new 1250 GS as they now make one .
The feeling is great already but maybe could be made better as the device riches the mixture on a monitored system , similar to tunning houses making them less lean , but without the ecu remap route.
Stick

Honestly, as long as you have your stock O2 sensors connected it won’t do a thing. Although it will shift the intake air temperature, the ECU will figure out there’s a fueling error and fix it in short order. The end result: no change to fueling.

I’ve got one from my 2012 cam head that I don’t use any more, as the bike has been sold. I now have a 2015 GSW fitted with a AF-Xied. So if anyone wants the booster plug free, just PM me your address, and I’ll post it on.

A small donation to cancer research or similar would be nice......:thumb

I had one on my Tiger 1050 and it worked as advertised to smooth out low speed snatchiness without any adverse side effects. Having said that, my 1250’s fuelling is as smooth as butter so I personally don’t feel the need for tweaks of any kind.

Honestly, as long as you have your stock O2 sensors connected it won’t do a thing. Although it will shift the intake air temperature, the ECU will figure out there’s a fueling error and fix it in short order. The end result: no change to fueling.

Would you not think tho that the plug monitors , adjusts the mixture so the ecu would not re adjust as the readings are normal but more constant and within the parameters of the fueling map , just tweeked a bit to run richer.

Would you not think tho that the plug monitors , adjusts the mixture so the ecu would not re adjust as the readings are normal but more constant and within the parameters of the fueling map , just tweeked a bit to run richer.

Booster plug and hilltop map work same, bike is good the ECU fixes fuel and all is gone, and you see nothing, better wait for afxied maybe soon on market.

Stick, Buy a BP if you like, I have one sitting in my junk drawer. I’ve carefully measured it, with a Wideband O2. The BoosterPlug works for minutes and then its effect is gone. Here’s the shortest explanation of why that I’ve posted previously:

When you install the boosterplug, it changes the temperature signal sent from the intake manifold to the ECU (Motronic or BMSX). Momentarily, that results in the ECU seeing a cooler air temperature and adding about 6% fuel. However, moments after that, the ECU is reading the O2 sensor, sees that the mixture is too rich and within seconds reduces the fueling to exactly where it had been before the addition of the BoosterPlug (let's not just pick on them, every IAT shifter has this problem). And worse, after enough riding, all the long term trims have fully adjust to the IAT temperature shift and there is no fueling difference anywhere--the long term trims are all set to about 0.94, which is 6% less than 1.00. So the simple math is that the BoosterPlug says to add 6% to fueling and the Long Term Trims say to remove 6% fueling and you end up back at stock fueling.​

Fitted one on my T10 smoothed out bottom end in sport mode and increased pick up in touring mode. Peased with result for little money and done in your own garage.

Stick, Buy a BP if you like, I have one sitting in my junk drawer. I’ve carefully measured it, with a Wideband O2. The BoosterPlug works for minutes and then its effect is gone. Here’s the shortest explanation of why that I’ve posted previously:

When you install the boosterplug, it changes the temperature signal sent from the intake manifold to the ECU (Motronic or BMSX). Momentarily, that results in the ECU seeing a cooler air temperature and adding about 6% fuel. However, moments after that, the ECU is reading the O2 sensor, sees that the mixture is too rich and within seconds reduces the fueling to exactly where it had been before the addition of the BoosterPlug (let's not just pick on them, every IAT shifter has this problem). And worse, after enough riding, all the long term trims have fully adjust to the IAT temperature shift and there is no fueling difference anywhere--the long term trims are all set to about 0.94, which is 6% less than 1.00. So the simple math is that the BoosterPlug says to add 6% to fueling and the Long Term Trims say to remove 6% fueling and you end up back at stock fueling.​

Can you send some written info or can I use your post as reference , as I could then make a claim against them for selling a product that does not work , would you believe it a company selling a product ( US Company ) world wide that a scam that does not work.
I have however fitted one to my KTM and it runs better , used more fuel , so I would think on that bike it does work all day and does not ,as you say, revert back to the original map. I will try one and see how I get on as I will notice any changes as I did with the HT I had done on other bikes .
Sometimes a simple idea works.

Can you send some written info or can I use your post as reference , as I could then make a claim against them for selling a product that does not work , would you believe it a company selling a product ( US Company ) world wide that a scam that does not work.
I have however fitted one to my KTM and it runs better , used more fuel , so I would think on that bike it does work all day and does not ,as you say, revert back to the original map. I will try one and see how I get on as I will notice any changes as I did with the HT I had done on other bikes .

How is it a scam if it works. The fact the gs has moved on technology wise to compensate doesn’t mean it won’t work ( to a minor degree) on other bikes. At least it’s a genuine product you can hold in your hand and not a “map” transmitted via voodoo spells to an inert box.

How is it a scam if it works. The fact the gs has moved on technology wise to compensate doesn’t mean it won’t work ( to a minor degree) on other bikes. At least it’s a genuine product you can hold in your hand and not a “map” transmitted via voodoo spells to an inert box.

I was being sarcastic...

Too subtle for me. You need to be a lot more obvious than that

No worries lol im trying one as sometimes posts can mislead you into accepting an opinion . However tests that may be wrong.
I will give it the Stick Test..

No worries lol im trying one as sometimes posts can mislead you into accepting an opinion . However tests that may be wrong.
I will give it the Stick Test..

I get ya.

But a wide band lambda reading is not ambiguous, Assuming the Lambda is fully functioning it doesn’t lie. It may be the booster plug has some new trickery but I suspect it is just in effect a resistor to alter the air temp figure. A trick some tuners use to boost dyno run figures as temporarily it will work.

But no harm in trying it out I guess

... in this case, for BMW bikes made after 1996, using Motronic or BMS, it’s just a simple sounding idea.

The BP is a well-made device that does a good job of shifting the temperature in a predictable manner. It has a remote probe so it’s even possible to measure intake air temperature. All good ... except that the BMW bikes use short term and long term trims and an O2 sensor to confirm fueling and CORRECT IT if it is not as planned by the ECU. BP has even written a “book” (PDF file) to explain their theory of operation, which conveniently omits Long Term Trims.

Dobeck (Techlusion) and Power Commander understand Trims and instruct you to remove the O2 sensor.

Here is a link to detailed measurements that demonstrate Long Term Trims and the negation of BP and fuel pressure increases: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2004...-af-xied-for-bmw.749080/page-40#post-23675190

BP is not a US company, but I’m not surprised at all that they have been selling millions of dollars worth of these and they don’t work. Things like this happen all the time. BP was so good sounding it was the first add-on I bought for my bike in 2011. Fortunately for me, I’m from the Test and Measurement Industry. And when it didn’t seem to be doing much I researched it, then measured it. It sits on my bench as a reminder.

... in this case, for BMW bikes made after 1996, using Motronic or BMS, it’s just a simple sounding idea.

The BP is a well-made device that does a good job of shifting the temperature in a predictable manner. It has a remote probe so it’s even possible to measure intake air temperature. All good ... except that the BMW bikes use short term and long term trims and an O2 sensor to confirm fueling and CORRECT IT if it is not as planned by the ECU. BP has even written a “book” (PDF file) to explain their theory of operation, which conveniently omits Long Term Trims.

Dobeck (Techlusion) and Power Commander understand Trims and instruct you to remove the O2 sensor.

Here is a link to detailed measurements that demonstrate Long Term Trims and the negation of BP and fuel pressure increases: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2004...-af-xied-for-bmw.749080/page-40#post-23675190

BP is not a US company, but I’m not surprised at all that they have been selling millions of dollars worth of these and they don’t work. Things like this happen all the time. BP was so good sounding it was the first add-on I bought for my bike in 2011. Fortunately for me, I’m from the Test and Measurement Industry. And when it didn’t seem to be doing much I researched it, then measured it. It sits on my bench as a reminder.

Thanks for the explanation , i thought the ecu worked from the mass air sender unit in the air box and adjusted the fueling from there , so , okay i have no reason to disbelieve you but if its reading from the information sent from the bikes sensor , why would it revert back as its now part of the fueling circuit.

Back
Top Bottom