Hey BMW - You lost another sale...

A friend of mine was in the market for a new bike...He rode all his life and likes to go 2-up.I told him try the 1250GS or 1250GS-ADV.So he took a test-ride.He liked it a lot and so did his wife.Especially the T-L impressed him as also the drive-shaft was a plus as also the easy handling for such a big bike.But he could not take the bike home immediately because the Hayes calipers have to be changed for Brembo before the bikes can be sold...The next day he tried a 1290 SADV-S which his wife did not like as much as the rear seat and seating position was not as good as on the GS.He did not like the chain as much coming from a big Concours.But he still bought the KTM because of the stronger top-end ! I hope BMW is listening and the next GS will have 160 hp...Get your heads out of your azzes and stop holding back :thumb

They lost so many more, by not producing the “Sport Sport Sport” model you demanded for around 5 years......... :blast

I don't think they are too worried about "yer mate"...

Attachments

• gsa sales.JPG
    gsa sales.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 564
I blocked him but it only works when I'm logged in :( ...and it doesn't help that so many respond to the shi*e because I can't (don't want to) block you all :grin

Stick obviously made his experiences with the 1290 KTM and knows what he is talking about...And Stever also is right when he says the current GS can't use any more power on top because at top-speed around 135-140 mph depending if you are on a regular GS or ADV with bags & topcase things get frisky...That is why I said the NEXT GS (which will be an all new model) needs 160 or so hp to take the last reason to buy a KTM or Ducati away...The more exiting top-end you get get on a XR if you want to ride a BMW but with the penalty of having to deal with a fork and chaindrive...:(
And yes a 17" XR version of the GS done right would generate sales too because there are lot's of Reggies in this world..:thumb As also a lighter & simpler version with power/weight compareable to the 890 KTM's for people who actually go around the world as Globetrotters on bad/unpaved roads with low octane gasoline...Like the HP 1200 from 15 years ago but this time done right with hard bags and right sized tank to actually to be able to go somewhere !
And a modern version of the R1100S a bike that was fun on trackdays and still practical enough to go on a longer vacation trip on based on the GS platform with Telelever would sell in good numbers because there is nothing like it on the market and not everyone likes a upright and less sporty looking GS...Looks & image are important for some people too...Just in case someone from BMW is listening ;)
Happy new Year...Things can only get worse :D

No issues with power on my gsa 1250. Two up loaded to the hilt plenty enough for us anyway.

Utter rubbish! Sorry to be so blunt.

My 1290 SAS is all day comfortable for rider and pillion with the small caveat that you do need to buy the powerparts seats.

Used to start fidgeting after a couple of hours on the 14 plate GSA. Wife not comfortable. Required a pair of his n her air hawk seat cushions for any kind of travel. Not needed on the KTM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to apologise for being blunt, you’ve had a good outcome and I’m pleased.
My thoughts were based on a very small sample size so somewhat blunt too.

I have 3 friends who bought 1290s, none of their respective pillions like the ride - to the extent that none of them will actually get on the back. One friend changed to a 1250 with good results, one has other bikes to use and the other is contemplating getting a GS.

Giles the Tuono is such a great road-bike...You must be kidding.The Tuono is just as useless on the road as any superbike without factory hard luggage or centerstand but not as good on the track as a superbike.
At least with the X1000XR you get these things that are essential for a road-bike.
As for sales BMW only has 20% of it's home market...There is still a lot of potential.
Like I said the GS needs more power to take the argument for a Ducati or KTM away.Also 2 full size bags would make it better as also a XR version of the GS would make the bike more attractive for people who ride only tarmac.
A R1250S with Telelever as a modern R1100S is missing.
The new S1000XR and S1000R shuld have been 1100 or 1200 cc for more power & mid-range than the outgoing models.
The F series has chinese engines which turns a lot of people off.Also the fact that they are heavier than the former F 800 with austrian motors is not good.
Indian made G310's are more of an embarrassment...
The R18 as a heavier Harley but with shaftdrive and cylinders in boxer instead of V configuration is probably not what generates sales in times when Harley can't find enough clowns for their boat-anchors.
The R Nine T is nice looking and could be a good bike for people who want a simpler boxer but why after 8 long years still no Telelever instead of cheap conventional suspension components and no options for factory hard luggage and centerstand...:confused:
Really good are really only 1250GS,1250RT and S/M1000RR !
R1300S and R1300XR are missing.
S1000XR and S1000R are good but should have had 100-200 cc more for cheap power/torque.
The rest is not so good...I.M.H.O.

Just wondering when we get to the 'my dad is bigger than your dad' posts.

Ha! Boxerlust is a good wind up merchant! I'll give him his dues .... :thumb2 :D

I think bmw should employ boxadust as the new m/cycle designer.... as he obviously knows FAR more than they do as to what all the bikers across the globe want to buy...
We saw it hear first; the 2022 bmw motorrad line-up.
Now we just need him to decide what colour (or, as he’s a septic: color) schemes we all want, and we can all sleep soundly in our beds knowing that a gobsh*te Sherman has sorted all our biking woes for us.

A Time For Change

Seems a fair bit about wives and the size of their arses. Be worth considering keeping you old GS and changing FATTY

Utter rubbish! Sorry to be so blunt.

My 1290 SAS is all day comfortable for rider and pillion with the small caveat that you do need to buy the powerparts seats.

Used to start fidgeting after a couple of hours on the 14 plate GSA. Wife not comfortable. Required a pair of his n her air hawk seat cushions for any kind of travel. Not needed on the KTM.

Agree with most of what you are saying, but KTM pillion comfort is shite compared to GS. So much so, that my wife is only happy to ride pillion if it does not go beyond maximum 2 hours and preferably 1 hour. I asked her a number of times if she would like to come along, and most of the time it is a no.
On GS she'd hop on without having to be asked to. In fact, she'd be ready before I even thought of going out for a ride.

Agree with most of what you are saying, but KTM pillion comfort is shite compared to GS. So much so, that my wife is only happy to ride pillion if it does not go beyond maximum 2 hours and preferably 1 hour. I asked her a number of times if she would like to come along, and most of the time it is a no.
On GS she'd hop on without having to be asked to. In fact, she'd be ready before I even thought of going out for a ride.

Power Parts heated seats fitted? My only thought.

Our wives may be different shapes maybe.

Back
Top Bottom