Nearly....

(RIP) Bobble

Toss'ed about a bit
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Nearly worked out which one...

One thing that I haven't been able to get hold of are screen shots of the Garmin 276 on a road view (mapsource), lots of pic's showing it as a chartplotter etc, but I would like to see what sort of info is shown. Also next month I am off to Germany for 2 days (work) and I will need to find the hotel in Frankfurt that I'm booked in, is the 276c just as good for this as the 2610/2720? or am I better off with the later?. I am trying to like the 276c as I like the pc mapping feature a lot, however the 2720 has many things going for it (except the price).

As I said..I'm nearly there, and hopefully with your help I will have cracked it.... any info will be really welcome :thumb

I don’t blame you for being cautious, see if this helps

Typical 276c setup with route set from York to Walls End (Hadrian’s Wall) 94.1 miles away
276_route_set.jpg

Map only setup
276c_map_only.jpg

Directions page with route set
276c_directions.jpg

Compass page with battery life indication (17.32 hrs remaining due to zero back lighting)
276c_compass.jpg

Trip computer page
276c_trip.jpg

Its very configurable, many fields can be modded to show just what you want

When I was in the market for a GPS I didn't think all the functions would be that usefull. I bought a Quest (which I am very happy with), and it had a good balance of features / value for money. However now I am more experienced in it's use I wish I'd spent more and bought a better unit.

If you can find the budget for the 2720 I'm sure you'll find it worth while.

Mutley1150 said:
When I was in the market for a GPS I didn't think all the functions would be that usefull. I bought a Quest (which I am very happy with), and it had a good balance of features / value for money. However now I am more experienced in it's use I wish I'd spent more and bought a better unit.

If you can find the budget for the 2720 I'm sure you'll find it worth while.

Quest 1 or 2?

Cheers :thumb

I think most people would be satisfied with the 2720 it’s a dammed good GPS, but if track logs matter you would be better off with a 276c

The 2720 stores 2,000 points (that’s around 160 miles on mixed roads with standard settings) So, one long days ride would see that being over written from the beginning. The 276c stores 10,000 points.

Some GPS’s can be set to leave the points at more extended distances but as a rough guide, this is what I have calculated.
2,000 points = aprox 160 miles on mixed roads
10,000 points = aprox 800 miles on mixed roads

Another 1st timer trying to decide what to buy!

I will add this to this thread, rather than start a new one, as I believe it i svery similar.
I have never bitten the bullet and bought a GPS navigation system, but I am rapidly approaching the point where I do. But I really do not know what to do for the best! So I would welcome the views of those of you who have experience of using these devices and who probably have a much better idea of what is essential, what is desirable and what is mere ‘fluff’.

What am I looking for?
a) I want a navigation device for use with both car and m’bike.
b) I want door-to-door UK and continental coverage (as my partner lives in Germany and we will be touring Europe as well as the UK given the chance)
c) Postcode entry/search (I think would be useful)
d) The new TMC service would be very useful when in the car (less so when on the m’bike)
e) From my limited experience a 3-D map is more user friendly than 2-D maps
f) Voice instructions would also be preferred (I have an Autocom on my m’bike)
g) An ability to plot a touring route (or routes) to follow in car or on bike

From what I have read, my selection would seem to fall between the following:

(i) Garmin 2720 + the GTM-10 TMC module
- I believe the GTM-10 plugs into the car stereo, so would only work in the car
- what maps option do I need?
(ii) Garmin 276C
- but what else do I need to buy to make a complete system?
(iii) Garmin Quest 2
- but no TMC option available
(iv) Tom Tom Rider
- but the map quality seems to be questioned
- is TMC available with this?
(v) The new Sony NV-U70T
-seems to have all I want/need, other than that it is a car only unit and therefore not waterproof. But can it be put into some sort of waterproof container for bike use?
- it is a hell of a lot cheaper (at £410) than the the Garmin 2720 or 276C
- same Nav-Teq maps as Garmin uses

Your views, comments and suggestions would be very welcome, because if I am investing this sort of money, I want to be sure I will be content with what I get!!

And, if I go for one of the Garmin units, what other options and accessories do I need to buy to get the complete kit I need?

Very many thanks for your help.

Many thanks all of you, Ebbo those are very sharp photo's and a great help, (Garmin should have them on their site), it's the first time I have seen the different views. Nice and clear directions ... have just found one for £439.00....

Mutley1150, I know what you mean, I used to have a Megallen sport track and wished I had boughht one that gave directions aswell.....

Ummmm what do I do?

paul08 said:
I will add this to this thread, rather than start a new one, as I believe it i svery similar.
I have never bitten the bullet and bought a GPS navigation system, but I am rapidly approaching the point where I do. But I really do not know what to do for the best! So I would welcome the views of those of you who have experience of using these devices and who probably have a much better idea of what is essential, what is desirable and what is mere ‘fluff’.

What am I looking for?
a) I want a navigation device for use with both car and m’bike.
b) I want door-to-door UK and continental coverage (as my partner lives in Germany and we will be touring Europe as well as the UK given the chance)
c) Postcode entry/search (I think would be useful)
d) The new TMC service would be very useful when in the car (less so when on the m’bike)
e) From my limited experience a 3-D map is more user friendly than 2-D maps
f) Voice instructions would also be preferred (I have an Autocom on my m’bike)
g) An ability to plot a touring route (or routes) to follow in car or on bike

From what I have read, my selection would seem to fall between the following:

(i) Garmin 2720 + the GTM-10 TMC module
- I believe the GTM-10 plugs into the car stereo, so would only work in the car
- what maps option do I need?
(ii) Garmin 276C
- but what else do I need to buy to make a complete system?
(iii) Garmin Quest 2
- but no TMC option available
(iv) Tom Tom Rider
- but the map quality seems to be questioned
- is TMC available with this?
(v) The new Sony NV-U70T
-seems to have all I want/need, other than that it is a car only unit and therefore not waterproof. But can it be put into some sort of waterproof container for bike use?
- it is a hell of a lot cheaper (at £410) than the the Garmin 2720 or 276C
- same Nav-Teq maps as Garmin uses

Your views, comments and suggestions would be very welcome, because if I am investing this sort of money, I want to be sure I will be content with what I get!!

And, if I go for one of the Garmin units, what other options and accessories do I need to buy to get the complete kit I need?

Very many thanks for your help.

Hi paul08, you may get a better response if you made a new post.. the tossers on here may not read far enough down to see your questions :thumb

bobble said:
have just found one for £439.00....
Be sure to factor in the Autonav kit to get the mapping, data card and car mount!

paul08 said:
g) An ability to plot a touring route (or routes) to follow in car or on bike.
Only Garmins can do this.

Any of the weatherprof Garmin models will do fine. They come with a different set of features but it's not until you have used it for a year or two that you will now if you bought the "best" unit. No big deal. You will probably be equally happy with any one of the Garmins.

bobble said:
One thing that I haven't been able to get hold of are screen shots of the Garmin 276 on a road view (mapsource), lots of pic's showing it as a chartplotter etc, but I would like to see what sort of info is shown.
The difference between the various Garmins arn't very big. One good way to inform yourself is to download the user manuals from www.garmin.com. They are full of screenshots.

HMR said:
The difference between the various Garmins arn't very big. One good way to inform yourself is to download the user manuals from www.garmin.com. They are full of screenshots.

Many thanks HMR :thumb I hadn't thought about the manuals.

Back
Top Bottom