Passport question.

Passport card arrived this morning.
I didn't have to sign for the passport book but I did for the card.

As per post #39 - i said that I would pop back if/when I managed to get an Irish passport. It arrived a few days ago, so just around three months since I applied. This info' may be of some use to anyone who stumbles upon this thread and is appling for a first Irish passport.

The process was quite long winded and very thorough - TBH I'm glad it is. The docoments proving that my mother was Irish (original birth certificate and marriage certificate) were accepted straight away DESPITE my mother's Christian name being different on each document. Proving who I was and where I lived was not so easy. I provided a copy of my UK passport, which I had witnessed by my son's partner - a Head teacher, non relative. She had to provide her work address and work phone number. I didn't think that the passport bods would actually ring her but they did. Apparently they quizzed her big time re who I was, where I lived etc etc. She told me that they really wanted chapter and verse.

I also supplied my council tax bill and my credit card statements as proof of UK address, both of these were rejected. They were rejected because they were addressed to (say) JB Smith and not John Barry Smith, they would not accept anything with initials. Now think about that, what do you have sent to you, from banks or government bodies etc, that uses your full name? Just about all my bills/statements etc are now on-line and they would not accept any copies or home print outs. Luckily I had some correspondence from the DWP and a Yorkshire water bill that saved the day. They also rejected the photo that I sent to them They will accept phone pictures but not 'selfies'. I ended up getting a phot in one of those machines in WH Smiths which was accepted.

ALL documents had to be originals. I used Royal mail, International tracked signed for postage. UK to Ireland took approx' a week. No issues.

Three months later and this Ian (not Iain, Eoin or Eoghan) with the mother with two Christian names, received a passport and I feel strangely proud reading 'Nationality - Irish' My mother always said that I was Irish, I thought she was nuts........hmmmmmmm........

Looks like I'm back in the EU - It's the International Hokey Kokey..... :D

View attachment 304558
Welcome to the club Jonnie. Here's the Anthem for Plastics like me......

& so you should - welcome on board - one question, who will you be cheering for on March 9th? Either way you are a winner.

Well I would say that as 95% of my family are Irish with 5% being English, it's a tough call eh??....:clap

Back
Top Bottom