R1300GS Quirks and Features

Hi, I enjoy your YouTube stuff. Also watched last night. Thought it was interesting. I didn't know about the windscreen raising cheat. Will use that next wash day.

Not convinced by the top box movement item. Clearly it's a feature from the factory, but I don't see how it helps stability when it slides from side to side in a 'chicane'. I would expect the opposite, as it exaggerates the weight transfer. I can't really see what useful purpose it serves? Definitely an oddity. I had an engineer friend ask me about it and I just had to say I didn't know, but it's not loose, BMW did it on purpose for some reason. He wasn't convinced!
 
Hi, I enjoy your YouTube stuff. Also watched last night. Thought it was interesting. I didn't know about the windscreen raising cheat. Will use that next wash day.

Not convinced by the top box movement item. Clearly it's a feature from the factory, but I don't see how it helps stability when it slides from side to side in a 'chicane'. I would expect the opposite, as it exaggerates the weight transfer. I can't really see what useful purpose it serves? Definitely an oddity. I had an engineer friend ask me about it and I just had to say I didn't know, but it's not loose, BMW did it on purpose for some reason. He wasn't convinced!

Thank you for following the channel, Martin!! Much appreciated indeed.

The way I see it, it's mostly to protect the new frame from vibrations and stress.

While riding, I can't seem to feel any difference or having either a positive or negative effect.

Main thing for me is to let people know as many have reached out asking how to fix it as s they thought it was broken :)

Cheers!
 
Hi, I enjoy your YouTube stuff. Also watched last night. Thought it was interesting. I didn't know about the windscreen raising cheat. Will use that next wash day.

Not convinced by the top box movement item. Clearly it's a feature from the factory, but I don't see how it helps stability when it slides from side to side in a 'chicane'. I would expect the opposite, as it exaggerates the weight transfer. I can't really see what useful purpose it serves? Definitely an oddity. I had an engineer friend ask me about it and I just had to say I didn't know, but it's not loose, BMW did it on purpose for some reason. He wasn't convinced!
You will never feel a half inch movement of the top box under any circumstances while riding. The idea if the movable mount is to raise recommended maximum speed with luggage. And yes it actually does what it's supposed to
 
Great pointer for keeping the screen up when switched off :thumb
 
Cheers, good useful video (y)

Didn’t know about the service mode for the screen, I’d been leaving the ignition on to keep the screen up

The explanation of battery guard is good too, I’d seen it mentioned in the manual but wouldn’t have known it was the cause of various error messages if I’d got them, like you say, I’d have been calling the dealer

Finally, the location of the fuses is good to know, a couple are really not obvious and could have you scratching your head to find them if one blew

(y)
 
Cheers, good useful video (y)

Didn’t know about the service mode for the screen, I’d been leaving the ignition on to keep the screen up

The explanation of battery guard is good too, I’d seen it mentioned in the manual but wouldn’t have known it was the cause of various error messages if I’d got them, like you say, I’d have been calling the dealer

Finally, the location of the fuses is good to know, a couple are really not obvious and could have you scratching your head to find them if one blew

(y)
Yeah, battery guard is completely unknown to most folks and I've seen the posts way too many times on social media.

Like I said, it's BMW's fault putting a great feature but not advertising it properly on the TFT.

The lithium battery (for many reasons) has out battery guard to the test for sure.


Thanks my friend, always appreciate your support 🙏
 
Another endorsement of all the previous positive comments.

As a bloke I naturally don’t ever read the instruction manual unless as a last resort 😄

Great style of presentation, and your personality makes it very easy for people to engage 👍

BMW really should employ you to make this type of video explaining a lot of what the owner’s manual fails to deliver.
I see a business opportunity, imagine if they had something like this to hand out to buyers along with all the other things in the pack when they collected their new bike.

Excellent vid thanks.
 
Hi, I enjoy your YouTube stuff. Also watched last night. Thought it was interesting. I didn't know about the windscreen raising cheat. Will use that next wash day.

Not convinced by the top box movement item. Clearly it's a feature from the factory, but I don't see how it helps stability when it slides from side to side in a 'chicane'. I would expect the opposite, as it exaggerates the weight transfer. I can't really see what useful purpose it serves? Definitely an oddity. I had an engineer friend ask me about it and I just had to say I didn't know, but it's not loose, BMW did it on purpose for some reason. He wasn't convinced!
Honda have done the same to the VFR1200's topbox rack, for better stability at high speeds.
 
Hi, I enjoy your YouTube stuff. Also watched last night. Thought it was interesting. I didn't know about the windscreen raising cheat. Will use that next wash day.

Not convinced by the top box movement item. Clearly it's a feature from the factory, but I don't see how it helps stability when it slides from side to side in a 'chicane'. I would expect the opposite, as it exaggerates the weight transfer. I can't really see what useful purpose it serves? Definitely an oddity. I had an engineer friend ask me about it and I just had to say I didn't know, but it's not loose, BMW did it on purpose for some reason. He wasn't convinced!
KTM have a similar system on their top box & panniers for the 1290SAS.
 


Back
Top Bottom