Running/ breaking in a new one

Think it proves he is happy with his new bike.............:rob

So far I’m happy with my new bike, but it’s early days and have been happy with 4 bikes before which have all been to Hilltop and fitted with full Akrapovic exhaust systems. I don’t think the Hilltop has caused the issues, and would consider visiting again. Many other riders of LCs have commented about the noisey engines. I’m keeping this bike completely standard and if I have any further issues I will reject it.

Having had a fair few new bikes over the years, I've never been a great advocate of the gentle run in. Interestingly I watched the Guy Martin programme where he helped to rebuild and race the FW08C Williams Cosworth. Over 1000 hours and goodness knows how much money spent in completely rebuilding and restoring the engine. Did they do any running in? Did they eckers like, straight into the jig and wound straight up to over 10.000rpm.

I'm not saying I've ridden new bikes like I stole them, but I've always made sure, not to labour the engine, plenty of gear changes, and given them short blasts upto 7000rpm. On a couple I've changed the oil at 100mls.

Just ride them. No red line or labouring for 1st 100miles, then let the revs build up for longer durations. They dont get run in without some load on the engine.
Lucky and had new Ducati, Yamaha, BMW, KTM, over the years. Never gave any of them an easy time running in. None used excess oil, no noisy engines, all made good power and got plenty miles with no issues.
Its not like we are talking about highly stressed 200+bhp motors, or revving to 15k and above here.

Update on the old one

So for those interested.... my old bike that I’ve px in, is having major work ... BMW have asked them to strip the engine and inspect the piston rings !! Tech said he hasn’t had to strip one for many years.

Back
Top Bottom