Two Weeks In Rheinpfalz, Alsace and Bavaria

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date
Nice report there Ronno, with some lovely pictures. My in-laws are in the area of Alsace that you went to so some of the villages looked familiar, as did the Maginot Line bunker which I took my mother to see last week. I first went there a couple of years ago when I was on the 650. You've given me some ideas for places to visit on the German side when I'm next over there.

Chris

Hi Chis, a German biker that I met recommended the Alsace route from Lembach to Bischof to me but this will have to wait until next year now. There are some great roads and scenery in the area.

Cheers,
Ronno

Wunderschöne Bilder, Ronno, und ein toller Reisebericht - vielen Dank! :clap

The Palatine Forest (Pfälzer Wald) is one of my favourite regions in Germany; I used to stay in Edenkoben a few times and also took Possu to Annweiler three years ago. Jockgrim doesn't look bad either - will make sure it's on my route the next time.

And the Alsace and the Vosges are a fantastic area, too. You could spend a whole week there and hardly ever ride the same road twice.

Funny that you stopped in Bacharach on your way back - did you know this village before? It's almost too picturesque to be true but definitely worth the visit. I spent some memorable evenings at the 'Grüner Baum' tasting my way through the excellent local wines... :mmmm

Thank you for taking us on the journey and for bringing back fond memories.

:101

Hi Ela, thanks for your comments. We found Bacharach by chance a year or two ago when we took a ride into Huensruck and although I'd heard of the village, it was quite an eye opener when we rode down into it. It's as you describe. We've never actually stayed there overnight so I've yet to sample the 'Grüner Baum' but will do one day soon :D

The thing that quite amazes me about the area around Edenkoben/Deidesheim/Rhodt is the amount of seemingly wealthy Germans who holiday there: car Reg plates showing that they come from all over Germany. Yet, you seldom see any foreign cars (certainly none from GB that I can recall seeing on my many trips into the area). I don't recall ever seeing any motorbikes from here in the area either. It seems to be a little known gem of an area. You certainly see British bikes in the Johanneskruez area but that's getting away from the Weinstrasse.

If you ever get into Jockgrim, there is a Tosser friendly hotel called Zum Elefanten but you may stuggle to get accomodation other than at weekends. You could do worse than book into s'Froschl pub who have rooms. Andreas and Berbel are great cooks and friendly hosts. They also have their own brewery :D :beer:

607684088_xi5uV-S.jpg

Hope to meet up with you and Possu one day (perhaps in Deutschland?)

:beerjug:

here,s another pity bout the sheen from the winda but it,s acutaly a lovely peice of work :thumb2

I could kick myself :blast I was in that room (unofficially) and didn't clock the window sills.

I'll just need to go back again for another look :thumb

:beerjug:

Hi Chis, a German biker that I met recommended the Alsace route from Lembach to Bischof to me but this will have to wait until next year now. There are some great roads and scenery in the area.

Cheers,
Ronno

Edit: That should read Lembach to Bischwiller :thumb2

Edit: That should read Lembach to Bischwiller :thumb2

My in-laws are in Schirrhoffen just up the road from Bischwiller. I did a few cycle routes last week from there up to the ridge near Climbach and it's very picturesque. The Schwarzwaldhohstrasse (sp?) to the east is lovely too (hell of a cycle up to the Hornisgrinde!) but take care with the speed limit because I gather they enforce it.

Cheers,

Chris

My in-laws are in Schirrhoffen just up the road from Bischwiller. I did a few cycle routes last week from there up to the ridge near Climbach and it's very picturesque. The Schwarzwaldhohstrasse (sp?) to the east is lovely too (hell of a cycle up to the Hornisgrinde!) but take care with the speed limit because I gather they enforce it.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, if you're into cycling, you should check out the Deutscher Weinstrasse route especially in the area of Rhodt/St Martin etc. It seems to be a very popular route.

I'll definitely check out the Bischwiller area when I'm next over on the bike :thumb2

Cheers,
Ronno

great photos:thumb2

looks really clean, not a spot of rubbish.

thanks for taking the time to post your RR:clap

Richie:beerjug:

Fantastic report Ronno :thumb2
Are they wobblybox friendly over there ??
love to do the same trip, pref by bike but legs ain't that good anymore [ spesh if its wet]
As for this being me :eek
Me walking up a fecking great hill and he's just a lightweight :aidan

607734624_YyFSc-L.jpg

Really nice photos, enjoyed looking at them.. you have a good eye sir.. :)

Really enjoyed that Ronno, I think you've wetted my appetite for a bike trip Thanks :beerjug:

Hope to meet up with you and Possu one day (perhaps in Deutschland?)
Yes, that would be really nice. Germany is not on the holiday list for the forseeable future but I might make it to the GOTC one day... :mmmm

Thanks for the accommodation details for Jockgrim. Would it help to mention your name or should we rather keep our acquaintance quiet? :augie

Try to stay in Bacharach for one night next time. Hotels and restaurants are plentiful and good (many offer you a garage space for the bike), the climb up to Burg Stahleck can be quite romantic :blush and the 'Grüner Baum' is a wonderful place to spend the evening. Depite the number of tourists visiting the place, they still look after you and make you feel welcome: I don't drink a lot and therefore have a pretty low alcohol tolerance (stop laughing in the background, will you?). So in order to let me sample as many different types of wine as possible, they served me small 0.1 litre glasses, which I found very sweet.

Not sure about the wealthy German holiday makers along the 'Deutsche Weinstraße' - I never belonged to that group of people... :D It's a well off region though and will attract like-minded visitors.

Thanks again for your excellent report. :thumb2

very good

Nice one
great pics and ride report
some of those pics are exceptional :thumb2

very good

Nice one
great pics and ride report
some of those pics are exceptional :thumb2

Thats' a cracking report Ronno. What with the pics (you seem to be pretty handy with a camera!) and the history - enjoyed it immensely.

A good evening's reading - yours and Whatton's reports. Even if I won't be able to make it away this year it's good to enjoy other people's holidays vicariously :thumb

great write up and photos

visited the eagle nest few years ago stunning place must go back some time
visted the castle from "where eagles dare" on the same trip lovely part of the world

Great report and pics pal :beerjug:

I just linked your post in a pm ... one of the guys on here is heading there next week from Guernsy ... and was looking at visiting 'the nest' and facilities in Brechtesgaden. He may pm you :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom