All is not well in the Yellow GS camp :(

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Picked up Delores the Yellow Machine today ...

I called it that because its a machine that has history!!

First ride ..

Gearbox ... yup clunky and agricultural .. you aint kidding...

Low speed, doesn't like manoeuvrers at low power revs, gets a bit clunky

Givi screen ... wobbles and is as noisy as Feck!!!

Couple of times i had the RH turn in wobble. Easily corrected though more power!!

it rides very differently to my 125 :), i just need to work out the best way to ride it

Fuel... kept smelling petrol on the journey hone ...

Wasn't sure if this is a portent! but when i got to the garage to put some in... the fuel flap wasn't shut properly!! ...AHA could this be the reason for the smell!!

But the biggest issue is it wont start...

All i get is battery symbol in the dash and the bike tries to give it a start then either turns once and stops, or give up with a click... its on the optimate now!

I'm hoping its the battery ... not the starter or Alternator!

I'll give it a jump start and see if that works

Just going out to work out what has been done or not done

I will keep you informed

Mart

Did you buy from a Dealer or Privately?
If it's the former then I'd be calling them and letting them sort it for you.
I take it there were none of these Issues on the Test Ride?

You bought it on ebay the dealer says it has a 14 day return on it. Regardless you have protection because they have to sell you something that is fit for purpose don't they? You did test the bike? They said they were happy to let you... have you tested the clutch under heavy load?

straight from the ebay add

Known bad bits

Deconmissioned ABS, various scratches. Please ensure you inspect this vehicle as there may or may not be other defects that have not come to light.

Give it a day or two to find out the faults and if you can't get a deal with them give it back for full refund before the 14 day return is up.

Dont think that will wash, as they state sold as seen no warranty given on sales recipit,, and it was a cash sale outside ebay, so nothing from ebay.

I Went out a minute ago and had a poke round ...

pressed the starter and it fired up straight away ...

I'll check the starter relay, as i have seen that that can be a problem ..

Deffo need the lowered springs, its just a shade to high when getting off the side stand.

Mart

Ah well you are on your lonesome there although if you bought it from the dealer there is, I believe, no such thing as no warranty the bike must reach a level that at least makes it safe to ride... an MOT by the way means nothing with regard to what constitutes safe for the road . However a dealer must have some responsibility for what they sell ??

edit
By the way I am not talking about the little eccentricities of the bike because if you have never ridden one before ...seriously think six speed rotavator or something similar... smooth they are not and if you are not ready for it , it can be a strange experience if you have just jumped off a Japanese 4 cyl sport bike or something similar with a silky gearbox.

Ah well you are on your lonesome there although if you bought it from the dealer there is, I believe, no such thing as no warranty the bike must reach a level that at least makes it safe to ride... an MOT by the way means nothing with regard to what constitutes safe for the road . However a dealer must have some responsibility for what they sell ??

edit
By the way I am not talking about the little eccentricities of the bike because if you have never ridden one before ...seriously think six speed rotavator or something similar... smooth they are not and if you are not ready for it , it can be a strange experience if you have just jumped off a Japanese 4 cyl sport bike or something similar with a silky gearbox.

Dont get me wrong, i went in to this with my eyes wide open ( albeit it rose tinted.)

Any issues are down to me to resolve :) if it means i have to purchase a few other bits so be it :)

At the end of the day i can always sell it on if i'm not happy

Mart

Actually no; it is a criminal offence to pretend to see privately when you are infact a dealer. Ask your local trading standards who can give far better advice than I, also HMRC will be very interested. It is called undisclosed income.

Always worth giving previous keeper a call. Start with basic checks, tyre pressures etc, then go from there. Make sure you keep good records of problems, who said what/when.

Finally, good luck and enjoy the bike.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

First thing I would advise, is dont worry. No point .. These sound like minor issues at first glance.

Think of the most obvious things first. It probably need a new battery. Thats a cheap fix . :D

I too just got a GS and was surprised how a BMW can feel a bit like a tractor. I had a VF1100 shafty years ago, and it was the same.

If you came off a 125 you have gave yourself a steep learning curve, but you will soon get used to it. Dont be afraid to feed the clutch in low speed cornering and maneuvering.

As said, inspect you tires and pressure to rule out the easy stuff.

Dont get me wrong, i went in to this with my eyes wide open ( albeit it rose tinted.)

Any issues are down to me to resolve :) if it means i have to purchase a few other bits so be it :)

At the end of the day i can always sell it on if i'm not happy

Mart

Cool but you want to be sure of major things like a clutch even doing it yourself is 400 ish notes and a bit of work. However if you are happy then that is all that matters only mentioned the clutch because when I bought my bike it was from a very swanky BMW Motorrad dealership and first time out I wrung its neck as was my pleasure and the clutch just did not want to know at full throttle 6k and above in the higher gears. I suspect the pervious owner just never gave it much welly... dealer was not best pleased because the owner was a well known customer who ahd just traded it for a new one and he did not expect the clutch would be a problem... I was shocked to find it out in under twenty minutes... straight back and they sorted it the next week.

edit BTW check the seat the previous owner may have been a tall guy and had it on the high setting I am sure you can drop an inch just by moving the metal bar.

If you're used to twins then the GS is no better or worse than most and I think "6 speed rotavator" is a bit harsh! I'd agree the 1150 is a bit of a tractor but it doesn't have balancing shafts like the 1200. I've had quite a few twins and I find the GS reasonably smooth as long as I keep the revs above 3000. A proper service from a good independent would be a good idea, balancing throttle bodies and setting valve clearances. My bike runs better on full fat petrol.

Well it's official,

SWMBO doesn't like it!!

She's made the prediction that ill drop it within the first month lol

Ewok & landspeeder :JB

TBH i think i do need to bring it down a fraction (30mm) and low seat it

Guess there's next month's OT gone .... or CC ;)

Mart

Check both ends of the battery connections make sure they are tight and clean, a new battery might not hurt they are/were a know weak point, Oddessy(?) do a great replacement (personally I don't bother with cheap lead acid units anymore) The screen wobble/buffeting is common, i found a tall screen that was ideal but equally i also cut one down to about 4" which worked ok.

RH turn in wobble? Probably needs a set of tyres, they can be quite sensitive to tyre types and condition.

By the look of the advert i'd be checking everything twice on the bike just to set my mind at rest

Big bikes are a very different riding experience to any 125 (if you were being serious) your mrs is right, you will drop it and more than likely it will be at very low speed :D

Good luck!

OK,

went out this morning and had a play.

Battery - fubbared... 3 starts and its whir whir click...

Riding, i find pull always need a bit of power compared to what i had previously.

tyre pressures / suspension needs setting (tyres are new btw)

much better on rbouts this morning, just need to go in slower, and slip the clutch , 20 mph feels like 70 at the moment :)

It is gear sensitive, and dosent like being in the wrong gear at low speeds

tappety until warm

60 mph 6th gear roll on ..... EEEEEEKKKKK thats quick and fun

thought i was right dead when i got back ...

went to move it and it wouldn't start nothing , nada zip -

after 20 mins of head scratching and worrying ..... penny dropped

It was in gear (TWAT!!!!) :)

Bigger problem is the garden gate,,

i need to remodel this as i cant get it in or out, even though there is plenty of room. need to do some

wiggling at the moment

Mart

Sounding better by the day Mart. As to new battery each to their own but I bought a Li FeO4 for mine when I replaced it recently works well and is as light as a feather compared to the standard battery.

Sounds like you're getting ahead of it, they are completely different to ride/feel than pretty much anything else you'll ever ride, it's a matter of trial and error and eventually your riding style will adapt without you realising it.

Oh, and you will drop it, I dropped mine stationary at a set of traffic lights, a lot on here have dropped theirs and normally in the most embarrassing situations, so don't worry about it.

dropping it is easy...anybody can do it....
picking it up is another matter....
but im not tempting fate and saying no more....

Back
Top Bottom