From 1200 GS-ADV AC,LC to 1250GS-ADV / my Verdict after 6000 miles

Up to 190-200 km/h with aluminum cases and top box everything is fine...:thumb2 The lids of the boxes say180 km/h/110mph max.Lawyers...:rolleyes:
Above 120 mph things can get "interesting";..especially if the pavement is broken or in sidewinds...:D The 1250 will do 142 mph on the dash with 700 rom to go ! Without boxes theoretically 150 as it will go up to 9000 rpm but power is dropping off around 8000 rpm. Nothing a slighty longer trail ighter 17 inch wheels to gain back quicker steering and a 150 Hp/Nm 1400 cc boxer could not fix....:bow
Until then maybe the regular GS that has 5 mm more trail is the answer.But it also comes with the penalty of softer springs and 20 mm less ground clearance...decisions,decisions !
Who has experience with a adjustable steering dampener on the GS ?
Ohlins does not make one.Probably for the reason that it does not make a difference...;)
Maybe the Conti Trail Attack 3 will cure the problem...
Cheers...:beerjug:

Up to 190-200 km/h with aluminum cases and top box everything is fine...:thumb2 The lids of the boxes say180 km/h/110mph max.Lawyers...:rolleyes:
Above 120 mph things can get "interesting";..especially if the pavement is broken or in sidewinds...:D The 1250 will do 142 mph on the dash with 700 rom to go ! Without boxes theoretically 150 as it will go up to 9000 rpm but power is dropping off around 8000 rpm. Nothing a slighty longer trail ighter 17 inch wheels to gain back quicker steering and a 150 Hp/Nm 1400 cc boxer could not fix....:bow
Until then maybe the regular GS that has 5 mm more trail is the answer.But it also comes with the penalty of softer springs and 20 mm less ground clearance...decisions,decisions !
Who has experience with a adjustable steering dampener on the GS ?
Ohlins does not make one.Probably for the reason that it does not make a difference...;)
Maybe the Conti Trail Attack 3 will cure the problem...
Cheers...:beerjug:

You must have some very very long roads over there, as the 1250GS I took out a few weeks ago ran out of puff at 134mph. Over 120 it took what seemed like a long time to finally get to 134mph.

You must have some very very long roads over there, as the 1250GS I took out a few weeks ago ran out of puff at 134mph. Over 120 it took what seemed like a long time to finally get to 134mph.

Hmmm not sure about that mine gets there fine no hesitation , oh there was , but it was a guy on a 1290 who just ran out of balls as the road just could not deal with the 160 bhp super s .. lol . don't mention spain as the last bloke is still spittin feathers , thought he was king of the hill until 335 came past ….try using your wrist for something other than typing lol

Hmmm not sure about that mine gets there fine no hesitation , oh there was , but it was a guy on a 1290 who just ran out of balls as the road just could not deal with the 160 bhp super s .. lol . don't mention spain as the last bloke is still spittin feathers , thought he was king of the hill until 335 came past ….try using your wrist for something other than typing lol

No need to take it so personally, 134mph isn’t too shabby. But it’s not the rocket ship that a lot of people, including you, seem to think it is. ;)

Nutty in Mexico you find long straights and curvy mountain roads like in southern france...a paradise for motorcyclists:thumb2 Weather,scenery,food all A + !!!
In the US,"land of the f(r)ee" everything above 100 can mean jail and license & bike taken and ridiculous fee$$ for lawyers and fines...:( The USA is definitely one of the worst countries to ride a bike in with it's ridiculously low speed limits and enforcement everywhere...No freedom at all !
The R1200GSA/LC took forever to get to 133 but the 1250GSA with Akra EU-3 slip-on gets there like a freight train pulling hard all the way to a indicated 142 mph (137/138 mph GPS reading) on the TFT screen...but it takes skills because the bike gets very frisky as it will WEAVE.You have to crotch down sitting forward with your jewels touching the tank and handlebar held like you hold a pair of raw eggs...Can't imagine the KTM even less stable with bags and another 19hp on top...:eek:No wonder BMW did not change the gearing or gave it another 20 hp...The XR is stable all the way to a topspeed of 160 or ca 156 mph on the GPS if I remember right with boxes an topcase...:thumby:
But I still rather have a GSA which is the best bike for the street in the sum of it's parts...:beerjug:
What do you rather have ?
1290 Super Adventure S ; chain,fork,less stable
1260 Multistrada ; chain,fork,desmo valvetrain with belt driven cam$$$
S1000XR;chain,fork,engine that constantly eggs you on to loose your license but it is even more fun and faster than a GS I have to admit.

No need to take it so personally, 134mph isn’t too shabby. But it’s not the rocket ship that a lot of people, including you, seem to think it is. ;)

But is equal to the 1290 as the real roads prove , not paper quotes .. no personal offence taken , its just the bike is fast enough as good as the others and the new improvement make heaps of difference .
The so called hyper 1290 is no faster , okay over the 134 mark perhaps , but let the unskilled play lol
High speed is fun , occasionally, its the overall perfection of the machinery underneath you that counts over a days ride and how the miles grow with the intensity of a sure footed and competent bike / bikes , not the little spurts of ..fuc me.. either side of the makers fence

High speed is fun , occasionally, its the overall perfection of the machinery underneath you that counts over a days ride and how the miles grow with the intensity of a sure footed and competent bike / bikes , not the little spurts of ..fuc me.. either side of the makers fence

:D:beerjug:

Not a bad review but I had to chuckle not enough wind protection or the skid plate too small.Get real in summer a little breeze on the arms is god send as also the skidplate in the 1250 protects the headers from stones.Perfect !
These bikes are too heavy and expensive to go off-road anyways and are what sport-tourers used to be...
As for the difference between GSA and GS the GSA is 20 lbs heavier with 20 Liters on board;crashbar,lights and frames for aluminum luggage...20 mm taller but also 20 mm more legroom.A little bit more agile in the twisties due to 5 mm less trail but also not as stable at 120-140 mph with bags + topcase.More comfortable seat and more windprotection.Additional driving lights stock.200 vs 120 miles tank-range if you ride:D...you decide !
For off-road riding I would go with the regular GS because it is a little smaller, on-road GSA !
Still looking forward to the ultimate GS with 1400 cc boxer 150Hp/Nm lower handlebar , 17 inch CF wheels 450 lbs wet with 24 liters in the tank....:beerjug:
Until then the 1250 has to do...;)

Still looking forward to the ultimate GS with 1400 cc boxer 150Hp/Nm lower handlebar , 17 inch CF wheels 450 lbs wet with 24 liters in the tank....:beerjug:

Why do you put that in virtually every post you type? :nenau

Genuine question. Do you think that if you say it enough, it will happen, as it ain’t going to happen. Ever. :comfort

Not a bad review but I had to chuckle not enough wind protection or the skid plate too small.Get real in summer a little breeze on the arms is god send as also the skidplate in the 1250 protects the headers from stones.Perfect !
These bikes are too heavy and expensive to go off-road anyways and are what sport-tourers used to be...
As for the difference between GSA and GS the GSA is 20 lbs heavier with 20 Liters on board;crashbar,lights and frames for aluminum luggage...20 mm taller but also 20 mm more legroom.A little bit more agile in the twisties due to 5 mm less trail but also not as stable at 120-140 mph with bags + topcase.More comfortable seat and more windprotection.Additional driving lights stock.200 vs 120 miles tank-range if you ride:D...you decide !
For off-road riding I would go with the regular GS because it is a little smaller, on-road GSA !

Why do you put that in virtually every post you type? :nenau

Genuine question. Do you think that if you say it enough, it will happen, as it ain’t going to happen. Ever. :comfort

Nutty has a point ! Just enjoy your bike ,even if it is limited to only 134mph and 56 degrees of lean. BMW are never going to produce the bike you incessantly bang on about.

Arsey your words of wisdom in my ear but you can still dream of the ultimate bike...:D
Next spring the S1000XR will be new like the S1000RR...who knows ?
And the GA-ADV goes 142 on the TFT not 134 including a friendly weave...;)
2022 I expect an all new boxer platform with CF tons lighter and hopefully 1400 cc and a XR street version too...:beerjug:
If the head honchos read here they can get some ideas from the people who actually use their products and not buy them for image reasons or trying to be like Charly...

Arsey your words of wisdom in my ear but you can still dream of the ultimate bike...:D
2022 I expect an all new boxer platform with CF tons lighter and hopefully 1400 cc and a XR street version too...:beerjug:
If the head honchos read here they can get some ideas from the people who actually use their products and not buy them for image reasons or trying to be like Charly...

As you’re the only one that keeps banging on about more power, smaller wheels & CF, and nobody else on this forum wants the same, the folk at BMW will be laughing at you just like everyone else is.

Why on earth would BMW bring out a bike that would directly rival another bike in their lineup? :blast

I have the ultimate bike for me already , thanks . Good luck !!! :))

Nutty you see a lot of people who don't take their GS off-road but wanting a sportier street bike doing 17 inch wheel conversions and putting 320 mm rotors on the front to have better brakes,less gyro and being able to run sticky compound tires for track days or such.There is a big market for such a bike.Look at the S1000XR,Multistrada or 1290 KTM's . With a 150-160hp Boxer,Telever and shaftdrive BMW would have them all beat ! Modern sport tourers...
I'll keep much GSA for now because a big tank,additional comfort and 20 mm more ground clearance / quick handling are better than the occasional time you can go 140 with full luggage...Like Arsey said enjoy what you got as it is almost perfect...:D
But I still have dreams...;)
BMW should build this bike ( R1400XR with T-L ! ) instead of wasting their time,money& resources on 1800 cc Boxer powered Harley clones lurking around the corner...:eek:

Back
Top Bottom