From 1200 GS-ADV AC,LC to 1250GS-ADV / my Verdict after 6000 miles

Boxerlust

Reaction score
Hallo !
Have been quiet for a while.Bought a new 1250 ADV in December.Shit weather but finally took her to the test in Mexico ! From 2012 to 2017 GS.Both ADV with Ohlin$ TTX and Akra slip-on and factory luggage.Both good bikes.The AC ran 129mph max with hard bags and top case.The LC did 133mph.Not a big difference between the two.I liked the old one a lot the newer one I really never warmed up to.Clunkier transmission in the first 3 gears,not really faster and too refined for my taste.
Should have gone straight to the 1250 ADV...:thumby:
Pretty much same bike except grey instead of triple-black,TFT screen and Hayes brake calipers.
The grey I like a lot as it looks Germanic and does not show dirt as the black does.Even the red seat looks good.
The TFT is easy to read but I like analog gages better.Maybe BMW should have done the rpm graph showing the powerband for hp and torque curves to get something useful out of the TFT display.I guess the sign of times to appease to the nerds.Oh well.The Hayes calipers feel better than the Brembos as the don't have as much free play and feel stronger but the brakes still could have a harder bite and probably 320 mm calipers if you have to brake hard.
The transmission finally feels good and shifts clean in the first 3 gears like it should have all along.No complaints anymore.
The ESA set on max/dynamic feels good enough not to have to fork out another 2 grand for Ohlin$.
I would have preferred a regular key to keyless but it was part of a package.
The new LED lights illuminate the road well enough to leave them alone instead of forking out more money on aftermarket units.
I also like that the Akrapovic EU-3 pipe fits the one with the removeable baffles to get the deep boxersound and crackles on closed throttle.A+ !I love it.
So far so good but the best is the additional 84 cc and dual intake cam lobes and perfect fueling of the new shift-cam boxer a truly impressive engine.I love it !
This engine is so much fun with LOTS of TORQUE and character.The mid-range is truly addictive for fast acceleration that makes the old 1200 ac or lc boring and feel gutless in comparison.A HUGE improvement.
Only bad part is additional tire wear.The excellent Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 looked as worn on the 1250 at 5000 miles as at 7000 miles on the 1200.You play you pay.
Only draw back at 137 mph max on GPS with full bags and topcase the bike weaves that you better know what you are doing not putting much hold on the bars...
I guess that is the price to pay for the quicker steering compared with the regular GS due to less trail on the ADV.

What I would like to see in the future is less weight and an engine with not only KTM/Ducati beating TORQUE and power up to 7500 rpm but another 20 hp more on top all the way to 9000rpm...:thumb2
A 1350 or 1400 cc boxer with 160hp and 150 nm torque would be the perfect motorcycle engine for the road.
Of course keep the brake dive and suspension load separating Telelever,find a good balance between quick steering and 150mph topspeed stability with full bags and give us a "XR" option with light 17 inch CF wheels and lower superbike handlebar straight from the factory for people who use the GS never off-road but as a comfortable and practical sportbike...:beerjug:
Until then it is all good and hopefully BMW makes the 20 mm taller "sports suspension" a option for all GS colors except white and with the lighter alloy 19/17 inch wheels !

hi,
thanks for the review. just a quick question, I had a test on a 1250 gsa recently and I know the bike is pretty much the same as the 1200gsa other than the engine, but for some reason it seemed smaller. maybe its just the revised protection bars as they seem to have a snugger fit. just wonder your thoughts or anyone else whos bought one. maybe just me . thanks

So, it weaves at 137mph with luggage? Engineer won’t like that.

So, it weaves at 137mph with luggage? Engineer won’t like that.

Yep however Nutty think we all agree BMW does say that with Topcases 180 km/h is a safety zone, and he was fully loaded, so obviously less, the man was supposedly doing 220 km/h add a not so perfect road surface and a bit of wind and well, think we know that their is no bike on the planet that would not weave, except maybe a mahoosive Goldy.

Tis a boxerlust report, so cannot be fakenews, where is fuse tester when he is needed....:D

Probably hanging from the rafters after reading this definitive report that the bike he aspires to now has a death weave which renders it pointless to most :)

Probably hanging from the rafters after reading this definitive report that the bike he aspires to now has a death weave which renders it pointless to most :)

Well I will never buy it, as I must ride at 220 km/h every day all day fully loaded...........:blast

Well I will never buy it, as I must ride at 220 km/h every day all day fully loaded...........:blast

That was exactly my point, but bodgineer kept bleeting on about it as if it was an everyday issue :rolleyes:

Yep however Nutty think we all agree BMW does say that with Topcases 180 km/h is a safety zone, and he was fully loaded, so obviously less, the man was supposedly doing 220 km/h add a not so perfect road surface and a bit of wind and well, think we know that their is no bike on the planet that would not weave, except maybe a mahoosive Goldy.

Not relevant as such, but the K12/1300 would handle 220+ with all cases on without weaving. (except for when catching up with trucks. Turbulence from the truck would cause minor weave if you used the 52l top box, while the 27l did not cause such a weave. It must be added that the weave was hardly noticeable).

Not relevant as such, but the K12/1300 would handle 220+ with all cases on without weaving. (except for when catching up with trucks. Turbulence from the truck would cause minor weave if you used the 52l top box, while the 27l did not cause such a weave. It must be added that the weave was hardly noticeable).

Agreed !!

K1300S rock steady with panniers at 150 mph as is Kwak H2 SX SE.

Nobody buys an adventure style bike for it’s handling characteristics at 130+, apart from one !!

Agree Knutk its all about a bit of wind and road surface and tyre pressure and tyre condition, and so many other variables can cause a massive or slight weave, now if the bike had 4 wheels, it would be fine..........:beerjug:

The Germans already make a vehicle that can go flat out all day fully loaded without weaving.... a Mercedes Sprinter.

Does it come with 17" wheels?

Not as standard, but they are an option

0fc649846e6c11f74d0a66b3c3faf6b7.jpg

Perfect for our man !! He could make some money on the side by bringing back some live contraband from south of the Border !!!

Not as standard, but they are an option

0fc649846e6c11f74d0a66b3c3faf6b7.jpg

Perfect for our man !! He could make some money on the side by bringing back some live contraband from south of the Border !!!

Must have gold wheels, and football pitch floodlights..............;)

Back
Top Bottom