First! New Zumo XT. Is this the new Montana I was waiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pps. I notice in your self appointed role as Garmin guru you've also patronised Garry, who, since he travels further than the Alps and ventures off the tarmac, and has also worked with custom mapping on just about every type of GPS going, just might know a bit more than you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And there was me thinking I’d helped Gazza by pointing him to other route creation software as he found BaseCamp troublesome. I also tried to put his mind to rest over his concerns over the recalculation issue. But hey, as he’s going beyond the Alps and creates his own maps, I doubt if it is really a huge problem. If it is he’ll doubtless let us know... or you will.

I have no idea who or what Lauren is but I’m sure she was jolly accommodating.

No problem, apology accepted and I'm sure Gazza is grateful for your insights. Like me, I'm sure he's barely able to turn his Garmin on without sifting through your posts for hints and tips.

Still sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk but changed slightly so as not to offend Wapping, who believes the ability to change a signature is commensurate with Garmin aptitude

Thanks for the offer of help BUT

Just to let you know i don't find base camp troublesome and don't need any help using it :beerjug:
The Xt will recalculate the route when you import them...You can reduce this by doing it correctly.....That's what i am saying
I have had loads of Garmin GPS's over the years and don't claim to be a expert but i have had a lot of experience
I was using Garmin GPS's back in the day GPS45XL ( I still have the old 45 ! )

Just out of interest i find the visability of the XT and the 276cx not the best so here are a couple of pics of the XT and the 276cx with the typ and theme files that i have moded :thumb2
I still think the 276cx has the better screen

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_193952.jpg
    IMG_20200314_193952.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20200314_194000.jpg
    IMG_20200314_194000.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 341
Is anyone able to film/take photos of the new XT next to a 595 or 396... anyway an older model?
I called infinity, but they don't have demo units now.

Thanks.

Thanks for the offer of help BUT

Just to let you know i don't find base camp troublesome and don't need any help using it :beerjug:
The Xt will recalculate the route when you import them...You can reduce this by doing it correctly.....That's what i am saying
I have had loads of Garmin GPS's over the years and don't claim to be a expert but i have had a lot of experience
I was using Garmin GPS's back in the day GPS45XL ( I still have the old 45 ! )

Just out of interest i find the visability of the XT and the 276cx not the best so here are a couple of pics of the XT and the 276cx with the typ and theme files that i have moded :thumb2
I still think the 276cx has the better screen

Thanks for the reply :beerjug:

My suggestion about using other software was based on nothing more than your comment:

With a bit of frigging around you can plot routes in base camp and transfer them to the XT...

When ‘frigging around’ suggests that you found BaseCamp troublesome or awkward. As that’s not the case, all is well.

...plot routes in base camp and transfer them to the XT
But if you are not careful the XT will recalculate them and they won't be as you intended

There is no reason why the new Garmin device will recalculate a route created in BaseCamp and sent to the device. The only reason I can think of is if the personal preference settings between BaseCamp on the home computer are significantly different from those on the device itself.

What routes (by which I mean are you creating ‘on-road’ or ‘off-road) are you creating?

What ‘careful’ steps are you taking to ensure the chances of recalculation are reduced?

Recalculation during use, for instance when bods go off-route or miss a waypoint, is something different. But I guess you don’t mean that?

I ask only in as much as your experience may well help others.

Thanks,

Richard

PS It would be great if you could create a simple ‘How to do it’ guide on how to modify the maps and what benefits you see. Assuming that is that the modification process is itself, ‘simple’.

The GPS section of UKGSer works pretty well, with considerable degrees of mutual support between contributors. Adding to it may well assist others.

I is not too tricky to alter the themes on the zumo
You can PM me if you want a theme for the zumo
The benefits are it makes the map easier to see by making the raods and route line wider and altering the colour

But altering the typ files on the 276cx is a lot more involved and involves editing the img files

To make the routes in base camp transfer across you need to make sure you have the same map installed and the routing setting are the same in basecamp as the unit
It should then work ok

I’ll have a look at the Zumo themes, please.

I’ll pm my email address over later.

Thank you.

Richard

Thread closed as it was starting to be overtaken with questions about the device's operation and other peripherals. Seapate posts created to deal with those.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom