What's that noise....?

milleplod

Reaction score
Bolsover, no longer the home of the Beast.
Luke (Denz0 of this parish) rebuilt my RT's original rear shock not long ago, and I had a new, uprated spring fitted too. Together with a new Shock Factory front unit, the bike's felt lovely on the few rides I've managed during lockdown. :)

I've not had anyone on the back after the refurb till a couple of weeks ago - with a pillion onboard, there's a very noticeable squeak/groan from the back end! :eek: No obvious sign of anything rubbing, I PM'd Luke who asked me to return the unit to him for a complete check-over - that's now been done, and it's on its way back to me.....no issues found by Luke at all! :(

With the unit still off the bike, the swingarm moves up and down freely, no noises at all, no sideways movement, nothing obviously amiss.

Any ideas anyone? :nenau As usual, witless comments most welcome! :thumb2

https://sndup.net/9b93/BikeSqueak.mp3

Pete

Sounds like a dry bush.

Are any of the bushes in the swing arm prelubed or lubed felt?

isnt there one in the cardon mount if i recall ?

If it’s not the swingarm bearing is could be Paralever/final drive bearing, the one that the final drive swivels on.

Thanks. Is it worth squirting some grease/oil into the final drive one? Does the black cap just pop out?

Pete
There's a bit more to it than that... But along with the bushes being dry, I also wondered like Steptoe if the Paralever bearing was the culprit.

If it is the Paralever bearing, seems odd if you've had the suspension serviced and fitted a stiffer spring. But maybe that's exactly it. With a pillion on, the Paralever is now into a new rage of bearing movement... And consequently it's squeaking... Because it's dry...?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

How about the rubber bush at the end of the paralever torque arm or "tension struts" as bmw call them? Its a metalastic bush.

When trying to locate sounds I use a stethoscope without an end on it. a piece of hose / tube works ok held to your ear helps pinpoint the sound.
Or go hi tech and record it with the phone close to the different joints while someone bounces the bike.

do you have a hugger ?

mine does exactly this with the carbon posh one... there's a small rubber bung to stop it rattling on the swingarm (near the swinging arm pivot), with it dry it squeaks just like this

The noise is no more.....unless it returns, of course, but I'm thinking positive! :D

Luke had the unit back, took it apart, gave it a thorough once over.....he even repainted the shock body for me....reassembled it, but didn't find a fault at all. It's now back on my bike and it's as quiet as a mouse. I did squirt some silicone lube into various dark corners of the rear end yesterday, prior to doing the bounce test today.....:nenau

Huge thanks to Luke for his very quick offer to check the unit, and the very fast turnaround - cracking service! :thumb2:bow

Pete

Luke is a good guy. Very conscientious and set on doing a good job. I'm a bit neurotic about shite postal services and when my shock hadn't arrived when expected, without prompting he immediately offered me an alternative shock to keep me mobile. I can't fault him

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I did squirt some silicone lube into various dark corners of the rear end yesterday, prior to doing the bounce test today.....:nenau

so...

do you have a hugger ?

mine does exactly this with the carbon posh one... there's a small rubber bung to stop it rattling on the swingarm (near the swinging arm pivot), with it dry it squeaks just like this, with silicon on it its silent

strange, maybe brake pipe / abs sensor wires along the torque arm (for want of the BM lingo)

The noise is no more.....unless it returns, of course, but I'm thinking positive! :D

Luke had the unit back, took it apart, gave it a thorough once over.....he even repainted the shock body for me....reassembled it, but didn't find a fault at all. It's now back on my bike and it's as quiet as a mouse. I did squirt some silicone lube into various dark corners of the rear end yesterday, prior to doing the bounce test today.....:nenau

Huge thanks to Luke for his very quick offer to check the unit, and the very fast turnaround - cracking service! :thumb2:bow

Pete

My wilbers lower mount was squeaking and creaking a bit last year. A bit of wd40 sprayed on it stopped the squeak temporarily. Taking the skock out a month or so ago showed me why it was creaking. In hindsight I should have removed it and checked it last year. A bit of grease might have saved it. See my thread about it for pictures. I wonder if a bearing might have been a little dry when he returned it to you. His subsequent check and dismantle of it may have sorted it out.

Back
Top Bottom