Service

So, how much dit it cost you Delboy?
Are you happy with the Service?

Hasn't been done yet Rob, only delivered the bike into them yesterday afternoon. Its been booked in for Monday 8am. I will let people know what i think once bike is back in my hands. Incidentally my lad put his 19 plate XR in for service at the same time, although its a couple of months over its 1st annual service date, they said it would be ok re the warranty since its this Covid thing that shut them down, not his fault. So hes been quoted £205 all in, inc any software updates. And no he doesnt have a TFT screen so they saying there might be a ECU update for engine management, but i've no idea about that.

3. In theory you create a vacuum at either the master cylinder or bleed nipple end to pull the fluid from the other end. I don't see that you can create a vacuum and pull fluid into the system from the same point.

Its not theory, it's how it's done - see the video below

The car is hooked up diagnostically, the pump unit goes in the master cylinder, and the black boxes go to work,

So first step is to pull a vacuum, this ensures no air or moisture in the system, it the vaccum holds the system has no leaks, if it dosent hold a vaccum, there is a leak

once the vacuum has been held, instead of releasing the vacuum and allowing air back in, the unit switches over to brake fluid, so release a vacuum, and the brake fluid is

pulled into the system. a few more tests and the green light goes on.

its no different if it's brake fluid or air, you just suck it out , switch over and let the vacuum do the rest

try sitting 2 people in car all day going "Up" "Down" "Up" "Down" Hold it" "Down" "Up" ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S968CWAp_E4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My 6000 service done at Reiten Motorrad on the 30/6 on a R1250RT, Oil/Filter, Brake fluid change, factory update, loan bike for duration (R1200R) 21 point check complimentary valet,

cost was £207.82, time in dealer 4Hrs .... service time probably about an hour, Happy with that :thumb2

Interesting bit of kit there Santa. Every day is a school day.

I'm sure my Kia dealer hasn't got one of those. If they had hed be rushing to tell me when I put it to them they were having me over. That's without the MOT failure and attempt to get me to replace replace 2 brake pipes at £500 all in which just needed a wipe over. There is a theme.

Interesting bit of kit there Santa. Every day is a school day.

I'm sure my Kia dealer hasn't got one of those. If they had hed be rushing to tell me when I put it to them they were having me over. That's without the MOT failure and attempt to get me to replace replace 2 brake pipes at £500 all in which just needed a wipe over. There is a theme.

No probs

When they do the fluid fills, they do brake,coolant, power steering & screenwash. all on one station, using similar methods

as you can see in the video, the line never stops, a car rolls off the line every 90 seconds... if you stop the line, it's around 1K a minute. ;)

No probs

When they do the fluid fills, they do brake,coolant, power steering & screenwash. all on one station, using similar methods

as you can see in the video, the line never stops, a car rolls off the line every 90 seconds... if you stop the line, it's around 1K a minute. ;)
I can see how this works with a new, dry system where the air is pumped (sucked) out and the now empty system draws new fluid in: I have a little difficulty imagining how a full of fluid closed system can be emptied by vacuum. As the pressure dropped would not the fluid ‘boil off’ in various parts of the pipework preventing the vacuum forming? :nenau
Alan R

Or because i am shagging the service lass. :p

Levi or Janet ? Think the dealership manager is with Janet, so it must be young Levi then ?

I needed rear pads, after 6K.

I was told the same at the last service at similar mileage, luckily they asked me first and I said I'd do them myself. When I collected the bike I went to an independent and brought new pads then went home to fit them, upon removing the rear pads there was nothing wrong with them they were at worst half worn, the new pads are still on the shelf and the bike is at almost 9k and still plenty left on them.

I suspect if they are around half worn they advise they are changed, its extra revenue for 10 minutes work and they get to charge you twice the cost for OEM pads compared to the aftermarket items.

I will find out tomorrow if they find anything else that needs doing. Shouldnt think so, bike has only done 1400 miles. They asked me to tick a box on the envelope that i deposited the bike keys and service book into, to allow them to do any other work up to the value of £100 without prior permission, I said no way, if it needs anything else it will be warranty and i won't be paying for it. Cheeky sods !

Final price £221.27 Inc brake fluid change and software update (but i will check to see its been done) when bike comes home. My pal is going to collect it as my knee is fubbered.

See Post #2

What did I win ? :nenau

Luckily for you its first prize unfortunately you will have to collect in person, your prize of a rotten banana. Maybe you can flog it to some of the ebike, lycra clad inhabitants of this parish. They can stuff it down their cycling troos and make themselves feel all warm n fuzzy while not getting sores on their arses When can i expect you ? I will put the kettle on and we can share a packet of bourbons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thing about "Having to have it dealer serviced or warranty is void"...
I had a discussion with Williams. They assured me that if I buy genuine parts, and service it to the schedule, then I can do it myself and the warranty would be unaffected.
I buy the parts, they print of the schedule, I do a proper job (taking the occasional photograph just incase) and everyone is happy.

Fine for my brand new bike and the one on an extended warranty.

Suppose it's a bit tricky of you want ECU updates doing... I rarely do!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

This thing about "Having to have it dealer serviced or warranty is void"...
I had a discussion with Williams. They assured me that if I buy genuine parts, and service it to the schedule, then I can do it myself and the warranty would be unaffected.
I buy the parts, they print of the schedule, I do a proper job (taking the occasional photograph just incase) and everyone is happy.

Fine for my brand new bike and the one on an extended warranty.

Suppose it's a bit tricky of you want ECU updates doing... I rarely do!

Thats good to know. I always thought you could take it to a non bmw dealer (with proper parts) but not do it yourself!
I will definitely be doing my own servicing.
Thanks for the info.

Thats good to know. I always thought you could take it to a non bmw dealer (with proper parts) but not do it yourself!
I will definitely be doing my own servicing.
Thanks for the info.
The eu exemption to allow you to have your vehicle serviced by non franchised dealers only relates to cars/vans it does not cover motorcycles.

If any dealer is telling you, that you can purchase parts and service yourself and any warranty claim will still be honoured by the mothership, get it in writing.

As a lawyer friend said, a spoken statement isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The eu exemption to allow you to have your vehicle serviced by non franchised dealers only relates to cars/vans it does not cover motorcycles.

If any dealer is telling you, that you can purchase parts and service yourself and any warranty claim will still be honoured by the mothership, get it in writing.

As a lawyer friend said, a spoken statement isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I'm fairly happy to take their word for it. Always found the person that I was dealing with to be highly experienced and very professional. Them supplying me with a printed schedule that is stapled to the receipt for the parts is more than enough proof for me.

To be fair, when my nearly new bike and my approved used bike reach the end of their warranties, I don't think I'll be renewing. Saving the cost of the monthly premiums + inflated cost of service items from BMW = enough to self insure.

Sorry... Slight devastation from the OP's topic!

'As a lawyer friend said, a spoken statement isn't worth the paper it's written on.'

I think it was Michael Mansfield QC who said "If its not written down it didn't happen."

Back
Top Bottom