engine transplant

I'd like to see more:D
Hmm I promised the world no more vids.. OK I promised myself no more YouTube.. Even my mother stopped watching the ones I was making ..
I Am trying to sort out a heat exchanger fitted to the exhaust (for demisting).. Once I do that and make a better job of my fuel lines I will do a walk around vid.. In honesty it took me by surprise when it started on the weekend. I didn't want to run it for long (no oil lights etc). And I just managed to grab my phone and send my brother a WhatsApp message Before I turned it off.
Thanks for the interest

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I Am trying to sort out a heat exchanger fitted to the exhaust (for demisting)..

I've spent far too much time over the years dealing with heat exchangers on air cooled VW exhausts, with options available now I'd be inclined to look at electric / diesel heats as an easier way forward, both with instant heat.

I helped a mate fit a diesel heater to his VW bus and plumbed it in to the existing air vents. The kit was around £80 of ebay and works a treat even without the engine running.

I've spent far too much time over the years dealing with heat exchangers on air cooled VW exhausts, with options available now I'd be inclined to look at electric / diesel heats as an easier way forward, both with instant heat.

I helped a mate fit a diesel heater to his VW bus and plumbed it in to the existing air vents. The kit was around £80 of ebay and works a treat even without the engine running.
One of these. I had thought of it. And may well regret not going down that route.. But another type of fuel.. And where to mount it. My van is (was destined) to live in Spain.. Where obviously its warmer.. But between covid and brexit. God knows if it will get there.. And how I will get it past an inspection (with engine).
Cheers
39dd04e5ee47012f9230662565502197.jpg

Yes that's the type but it was a lot smaller and rated at around 8KW. The VW bus had loads of space and it was fitted with a small fuel tank in the engine bay with the heater mounted to the chassis.

I'm curious what inspection it needs to get through, is the conversion for racing or road use?

Yes that's the type but it was a lot smaller and rated at around 8KW. The VW bus had loads of space and it was fitted with a small fuel tank in the engine bay with the heater mounted to the chassis.

I'm curious what inspection it needs to get through, is the conversion for racing or road use?
Yes I have a few diesel heaters. Chinese ripoffs of the ebersbacher. Must cheaper and less temperamental. Shocking component quality. But for the money they are great.
In truth I don't know what tests the van will need (for import into Spain). I know when I brought it from France I just copied the details from the French reg doc.. But as it old and was I managed to get around the lack of CE conformity cert.. Taking it back to the country it was built now that we are out of Europe is bound to be a mission.. Added to the import duty etc etc.. Even if I can work through the paper work.. It may not be viable.. I should have registered it in Spain and brought it here after (to work on). My bike will also be an issue..
To clarify I mean to retire (early) and live in Spain and my off grid property is accessed by an unmade lane. Hence a Gs and the need for a simple van with great suspension that is simple to work on.. Quite how the engine transplant came into equasion I can't explain.. But it's too late now.. What I need is the Brexit reversal .. But I am being selfish.

Yes I have a few diesel heaters. Chinese ripoffs of the ebersbacher. Must cheaper and less temperamental. Shocking component quality. But for the money they are great.
In truth I don't know what tests the van will need (for import into Spain). I know when I brought it from France I just copied the details from the French reg doc.. But as it old and was I managed to get around the lack of CE conformity cert.. Taking it back to the country it was built now that we are out of Europe is bound to be a mission.. Added to the import duty etc etc.. Even if I can work through the paper work.. It may not be viable.. I should have registered it in Spain and brought it here after (to work on). My bike will also be an issue..
To clarify I mean to retire (early) and live in Spain and my off grid property is accessed by an unmade lane. Hence a Gs and the need for a simple van with great suspension that is simple to work on.. Quite how the engine transplant came into equasion I can't explain.. But it's too late now.. What I need is the Brexit reversal .. But I am being selfish.

I see, that's a very nice retirement plan you have there and I wish you all the best with that. Yep getting stuff back into Europe now is a nightmare and I wish you good luck with that too.
Those heater component aren't the best, they weren't designed to be maintained or refurbished in my opinion. I run a fleet of vehicles with Ebersbacher heaters and when they fail we've little success in fixing them.

I'll look forward to updates on your 2CV.

That's whetted my appetite nicely.

Please keep them coming...:thumb2
It feels very "needy" putting up vids and posting links.. But I will.

Just please keep in mind I came asking for help.. I am not an expert . I am learning as I go.. I don't mind advice or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.....

I see, that's a very nice retirement plan you have there and I wish you all the best with that. Yep getting stuff back into Europe now is a nightmare and I wish you good luck with that too.
Those heater component aren't the best, they weren't designed to be maintained or refurbished in my opinion. I run a fleet of vehicles with Ebersbacher heaters and when they fail we've little success in fixing them.

I'll look forward to updates on your 2CV.
Cheers Ian.. I just finished my heat exchanger.. It looks awful. Wish I had gone with diesel.. Or moved brexit

Back
Top Bottom