Are we the odd ones out?

Basic Assistance (+10km/France/direct bordering countries) is included with most insurance policies in France, even for older vehicles. Never had to use it for the bikes but a couple of times for cars and they turned up very quickly. I’ve heard of people in the UK having to wait 24hrs for the RAC!

I can vouch for the efficiency of the French breakdown service - on the motorway at least.

I ran out of fuel (first time in my life); made the call from the intercom box and the chap was there in 15 mins with 5 litres. Followed him to the service area and filled up and paid him the recovery fee.

I was well impressed.

Have to disagree with you there
A lot of bloke on
Presumably it won’t die from Ethanol over the course of one tour but over the longer term ?

I guess if I had an airhead in my garage (I wish !), I would be buying up carb and fuel system spares in anticipation of future long term ownership issues regarding the Ethanol effects from modern fuels.

With our ever increasing green quotas I assume it won’t get any better as time goes by for running older carbs etc ?
Its easy to just replace the
That’s enough surely!
Its not a big deal to change the parts to ethanol friendly material

You haven't seen the pictures of our USA cousins' carbs then, and the corrossive effect on the carb bodies ? the E in anything is horrible stuff and is not conducive to longevity. Big business has been taught by the Chinese that making things well is not good for profits. How can a business make big profits if their customers don't buy new every couple of years? Making something to last, with effective spares backup, is old hat. The new profiteering regime has come of age. Make it cheaply, make it obsolete, and sell loads.
Its not the ethanol
why not get yourself one its a pretty good time to be buying the market has gone back a bit I would say. still very enjoyable to ride
I keep hearing people saying that the market is flat but ive been looking for a new project there is not really many good ones about. I reckon that people will hang on to them if they don't really need the money.

You could do a lot of airhead work with the amount this lost in depreciation .
Just look at this - GS 1250 2019 , 23000 miles £8950 !

I didn’t mean this thread to turn into old versus new, I was just remarking that us Luddite air headers are somewhat of a minority group in this community. Live and let live is my mantra so lets not be divisive lads

I find it hard to know what I'd replace my Thruxton R with - a well sorted air-head might be an option :)
As an investment bike,a nice R80g/s mono or an R 90s,at a push an R100 s or cs
Obviously forgoing really early stuff.
Easy to live with,paralever GS or R100r / mystic
/5/6/7 are nice but a bit more basic and more for an enthusiast.
If bought right they will/ should all hold values unless the arse drops out of the market due to an aging interest group.

I guess one rider could carry a few vital spares and another a few tools, that should cover all bases for supporting the whole group ?

How do they run on E10 ??
I run mine on E10, no issues so far. E5 is commonly available in the Picos area if you want to avoid it (E10 I mean!).

All of the above from a /6 onwards have disc brakes on the front,and are very useable in modern traffic,
If you’ve never ridden one you may well be surprised at the power ,even a 75 can pick its skirts up.
Years ago I had a ride on an R90S, but none of the others.

There is no urgency to replace it but I'm told that Triumph no longer provide support for bikes over 10 years old?
That is the way of big business now. The British way of building well has been replaced by the Chinese mantra of build it just good enough and then withdraw support to force owners into buying new - that applies to anything in life, even saucepans. My mother's were a wedding present, Prestige, they are still perfect. Mum and Dad got married in 1936. Anna bought a set of saucepans that she liked, 10 years down the line the coating has come off, one has warped.... Mum's old ones have been retrieved from the attic and suddenly they are being appreciated for just how good they are.
Making stuff to last is bad for business.

That is the way of big business now. The British way of building well has been replaced by the Chinese mantra of build it just good enough and then withdraw support to force owners into buying new - that applies to anything in life, even saucepans. My mother's were a wedding present, Prestige, they are still perfect. Mum and Dad got married in 1936. Anna bought a set of saucepans that she liked, 10 years down the line the coating has come off, one has warped.... Mum's old ones have been retrieved from the attic and suddenly they are being appreciated for just how good they are.
Making stuff to last is bad for business.
Agreed, ever increasing growth is needed otherwise companies go out of business and people do not have jobs, unfortunately - I don't think this trend is reversible :(

Perhaps I'll keep the Triumph until it becomes worthless :(

But good for the planet, which I've heard is far from well.
No it isn't. Constantly making new stuff, compared to keeping things going, is what is doing the damage. That and the constant clamour for bigger and better instead of being content with what already exists - learn to love what you have rather than constantly wanting more. Make do and mend is far better for the planet than constantly churning out more tat.

Back
Top Bottom