Comfy old boots bike service resto thread

Well I tried. No air came out of the handle bar bleed nipple. The squish is coming from there.

I tried bribing the bike. I bought a fancy silver marker and touched up the bmw logo on the brakes. It didn’t respond in kind. I can’t do the abs bleed test because it’s got faults. I can’t clear the faults because the abs is broken. Bit of a catch 22.

Reset the service date using the gs 911. That was cool.

Battery is now dead. Dug out the charger. It’s dead too 🤪

I’m confident I can sort the throttle issue but the brakes? I’ve run out of options.

Maybe the master cylinder rubber whatzit got damaged? Perhaps I’ll order a new one to be sure.

Either way I’m on the bus until this is fixed.
IMG_7289.jpeg
IMG_7291.jpegIMG_7292.jpegIMG_7293.jpegIMG_7298.jpeg
 
Re your throttle cable. The exut from the twistgrip should be above the brake master cylinder, yours apoears to out by 180°, running below the master cylinder.
Re your clutch noise, that could be gearbox input shaft shock absorber. How much slack is there at the rear wheel when you turn it by hand in 6th and in 1st.?
Out of curiosity, what is the history of this bike? It seems to have a few issues ...
 
Re your throttle cable. The exut from the twistgrip should be above the brake master cylinder, yours apoears to out by 180°, running below the master cylinder.
Re your clutch noise, that could be gearbox input shaft shock absorber. How much slack is there at the rear wheel when you turn it by hand in 6th and in 1st.?
Out of curiosity, what is the history of this bike? It seems to have a few issues ...
Out by 180 degrees?! Holy cow. That would do it. Thanks 🙈

The rear wheel, in first gear I’ve have 7 cm of slack. In 6th there is a full 10 cm of slack.

I have owned this bike for ten years. I bought it with 75,000 on the clock. It came with zero service history but I bought it off a chap on here who used to work in rainbow. Micky was waiting for me to give me the eye ball 😂

Bike was running fine until recently and the brakes were perfectly fine before I bled them, albeit no abs for five years.
 



I’ll park the old girl up and attempt this if it comes to it. I’d be happy with no abs.
 
Last edited:
If there is air in the abs module, the only thing I’ve read about getting the air out out is to tap around the brake line nozzles on the abs while bleeding, That’ll be a two person job. Just a shame after all the effort to be twarted by this 😂

I’ll take the tank off in the morning and go from there. 👍🏻

Edit. Maybe the cable tied brake lever will work.
If not I'm going to get a large syringe and do a reverse bleed. Maybe that will force the air out through the bleed nipple beside the master reservoir.
If that does not work, I'll take the tank off.

I've options.
 
Last edited:
Took the cable tie off. Possibly a bit firmer? Put another one on and bought this. No harm bleeding it from bottom up. Air rises etc.

IMG_7300.jpg


And this shows where the rattle is coming from. Safe to say that is far beyond my capabilities and earplugs are the answer.
 
Last edited:
This is how the throttle cable is routed by the factory. It is a bit gloomy inside my barn but you can zoom in if anything isn't too clear:
1000018039.jpg
When you use a cable tie on the brake lever you are outting the hydraulics under pressure. Any larger air bubbkes are compressed, the idea is that as a smaller bubble they will move, upwards, in the hose. They will migrate towards the master cylinder, where they either exit into the reservoir, or need loeeding off by the nipple on the end of the master cylinder.
If you type "R1200GS ABS pump repair" into Google, or tour favourite search engine, it returns quite a few YouTubes on hiw to replace the motor with a Ford unit. It will also list specialists who can do it for you, when you grease their palms.
 
Thanks magwych- that photo is very helpful.

Regarding the brakes, i think I’ll make haste slowly. I’ve got this far. It’s just another challenge I need to overcome. I’ll take the tank off again. I’m reading reports of people tapping the abs unit round the pipes with a screwdriver handle to encourage the bubbles to move. Reverse bleeding is the other option I have. Possibly both at the same time.
 
Got a bit done first thing and over lunch. Think I saw a couple of bubbies out the brake cylinder nipple. I’ve run out of cable ties so I’ll have to get some to continue this.

Got the tank etc off. V easy now everything is fresh and clean. Unless I get these brakes firm I think I’m going to just buy the fiesta motor and do that. Sourced one in Ireland earlier - could use the machine shop in work to work the lugs in a big vice etc. Looks much easier than freeing the brushes. Reasonably accessible too. Still need to bleed the brakes properly but anyway🙈

Stuck one new engine bar on and one of my cheap spots on. Needed something new to look at.

6CACFD2E-9953-4A46-BC48-E2732A455CFD.jpeg
IMG_7309.jpegIMG_7305.jpeg
 
Oh I also mounted the remote preload and

Happy with this one

I fixed the rear abs sensor fault. I’d wired it backwards. The gs 911 is very handy for checking that stuff.
 
The ABS pump needs to be run with the GS911 to remove air from the ABS pump assembly.
Also push the pistons back fully in the callipers and make some wooden blocks that replace the brake pads and are a snug fit, this helps to make sure there is not any air trapped in the callipers.
Don`t forget this is a linked front to back braking system.
 
hurrah I found one 😂
The ABS pump needs to be run with the GS911 to remove air from the ABS pump assembly.
Also push the pistons back fully in the callipers and make some wooden blocks that replace the brake pads and are a snug fit, this helps to make sure there is not any air trapped in the callipers.
Don`t forget this is a linked front to back braking system.
Thanks Mistacat.

I expect the linked braking and gs911 do not work when the abs brushes are stuck. I tried. QAny other things I should know about linked brakes? Other than they work great! .. When working!

Good tip about some wooden spacers. When I initially bled them, the pistons were fully back. It's got a bit sketchy since then.

I've decided I'm going to replace the abs motor. I can get a working ford unit delivered for €80.

I found two more cable ties earlier so the brake lever is pinned again.

Lot more relaxed today. This will take as long as it takes. Starting to rain here and bike is covered ready for tomorrow's adventuresIMG_7316.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Not a comment about the neighbours shed wall 😂😂😂. I had a shed but it fell down in the last storm. My mates were mysteriously busy when I kangied the whole thing down and into a skip by myself.

Gonna put some trellis on there next spring and grow sweet pea. Sometime soon I’ll put up a lean to and do this stuff in the dry 🤗
 
Tec 7, on the grounds that I believe it will be more resilient to the vibrations.
I went with epoxy. I'll Tec 7 the outer edges to seal the gaps and offer bone protection. Tec 7 is such messy stuff
 
Not a comment about the neighbours shed wall 😂😂😂. I had a shed but it fell down in the last storm. My mates were mysteriously busy when I kangied the whole thing down and into a skip by myself.

Gonna put some trellis on there next spring and grow sweet pea. Sometime soon I’ll put up a lean to and do this stuff in the dry 🤗
I don’t think anyone has missed that wall whilst following your rebuild.
Guess we are all too polite.
 
I don’t think anyone has missed that wall whilst following your rebuild.
Guess we are all too polite.
😂

It’s quite something. Let me see if I can find a picture of the shed, the destruction and well you’ve all seen my washing line so…
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1577.jpeg
    IMG_1577.jpeg
    673.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0855.jpeg
    IMG_0855.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0849.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 34
The wind ripped the roof off. You see it now. Here four years and I’ve been told the side of the house isn’t more important than a wedding 😲. Do stuff under open skies for now. 🙈😃😂 Ten grand and it would be amazing…
 
Last edited:
All out in one day…. This house has fought me every single day. ☺️. I hired a kango hammer at lunchtime and I lie, it wet in a skip two days later. I’ll get there…

 
Last edited:
Well I removed the cable tie. Bled from the handlebar reservoir and then from the callipers. It’s still squishy. Not as bad but not right. With everything stripped back I’m just going to do the motor swap. Thanks for your patience.

Not sure what the going rate is but I just spent €80 delivered which seems ok. Fingers and toes crossed.
 
Last edited:


Back
Top Bottom