Hartz mountains where to stay

EPG_19

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking at going away this year and exploring the hartz mountains.

Ideally from a central location and have rideouts from a base. Looking at 5 days worth? About 200 miles a day.

Is this a reasonable thing to do?

Anyone got any tips for locations in the area? We will be renting an apartment probably.
]
cheers

Many Years ago I stayed at a hotel called the Berlinerbaer. You needed to speak some German and be very fond of Pork :D

Ideally from a central location and have rideouts from a base. Looking at 5 days worth? About 200 miles a day.

Anyone got any tips for locations in the area? We will be renting an apartment probably.
]
cheers
We tried the Harz "mountains" last September and we're very, very disappointed with it . A bloody slog to get there ( we knew that anyway) and as for the area, roads, scenery in general it was bloody awful. It's not a big area either. I've seen bigger mountains in the Lincolnshire Massif 😉. All the higher forested hills are full of dead larch trees....as far as the eye can see ( some ridiculous and deluded scientists attribute this to a 1 or 2 degree increase in climate temp allowing for the proliferation of a certain type of beetle that kills the larch trees 🙄 :D )
All in all we vowed never to venture there again . Bloody awful.

Sorry it's not much help EPG but the Harz is still a bit raw for me after having such high hopes initially. 🙄

Stayed here a few years ago and can thoroughly recommend it. Peter and Corinna are fantastic hosts.:thumby:

Hotel Harmonie Waldesruh
Peter und Corinna Döhring
Pfarrwiese 57
37539 Bad Grund (Harz)
Germany

Phone: +49-5327-869860
Fax: +49-5327-869861

eMail: info@biker-hotel-harz.de

Ideally from a central location and have rideouts from a base. Looking at 5 days worth? About 200 miles a day. ….. We will be renting an apartment probably

Ask Google for a map of the Harz.

Got a link, mate? Natch, mate: https://maps.app.goo.gl/45RGqdk1mgXNum8r5?g_st=ic

Find a spot near enough in a central position, preferably on a crossroads or T-junction, then search around there for an apartment to suit you.

I disagree. It was plenty for 5 days. See this thread for maps and ideas.

Harz routes

Having just done the Harz in May, I couldn't fault the roads, corners or regularity of everything. The bends maintained a brilliant curvature, great surface besides the absolute b roads which were well signposted. I'd almost say better condition than France! If you're learning/improving...
  • adventuredon
  • Post #12
  • and this for details on my stay post #20

Christmas next week! 😳

Better get some tyre chains or socks, ohh yeah, and a pair of stabilisers might help too.

Bon voyage.

]
cheers
We stopped in Stolberg (Harz) on the way back from a trip to Russia some years ago and thought the area looked interesting enough for a proper visit. There are plenty of other quaint villages to pick from.
We went back and spent 4 days wandering around and enjoyed it. We had really good weather which always makes a difference in lumpy areas.
If you like steam trains have a day off the bike and go up the Brocken, we went from Nordhausen (be sure to go to the "Narrow gauge" station!!!) but there are other stations to go from depending where you stay. It is a bit of a trek to get there and it is busier at the weekend.
The Brocken is the highest peak in the Harz mountains, 1,141m (3,743 feet) above sea level. Can't say that I've noticed anything quite that high in Lincolnshire when we've been visiting family:D... Not even the mountain at Cadwell where I've pulled the odd wheely.:rolleyes::thumby:

Goslar is quite a nice place & it's quite interesting to see the iron curtain difference between the likes of Goslar & Wernigerode / Quedlindurg old East meets West Germany plus worth a stop off to see the Dam Busters efforts, we stayed on the Sorpe which was a lovely spot. Not massive mountains of the Alps but at least its not drinking French beer!

Goslar is quite a nice place & it's quite interesting to see the iron curtain difference between the likes of Goslar & Wernigerode / Quedlindurg old East meets West Germany plus worth a stop off to see the Dam Busters efforts, we stayed on the Sorpe which was a lovely spot. Not massive mountains of the Alps but at least its not drinking French beer!
anything but wine in France is a sin.

Christmas next week! 😳

Better get some tyre chains or socks, ohh yeah, and a pair of stabilisers might help too.

Bon voyage.
clearly should have said next year, cheers ken.

It’s the devils juice. You do know cider is made with the tears of ginger people

yes, during the war my grandfather was sent ginger PoWs to his farm in Herefordshire to boost production. Bavarians with Celtic heritage were highly prized.

Back
Top Bottom