Should I swap to an RT?

Thanks for all the replies, it’s really useful to hear your experiences. Re noise, I never ride more than a couple of miles without my custom made earplugs. I have also toyed with the idea of a maxi scooter but I’m thinking they’re heavier and less powerful than the 500X so whilst probably easier than an RT to get in and out of the garage maybe not much easier and half the appeal is everyday useability. I don’t do a lot of miles and my budget wouldn’t stretch to more than a TC RT. I did ride an GS LC1200 but didn’t like it as much as my GS TC.

I’m feeling that my next bike may be my last; I cycle more miles than I ride and as long as I’m fit enough to cycle it’s likely to stay that way. I’m tempted just to bite the bullet and go for it as there just doesn’t seem to be middleweight tourer that’s near a mini-RT.
 
If you don’t (as a rule) do huge mileages but do like a bit of touring, try a Royal Enfield 450 Himalayan. They really are a very good motorcycle and way cheaper than the latest faddish scooters.

They’ll go for miles and miles, if you want to. Carry a reasonable amount of luggage, if that’s your thing and won’t burn your wallet at the fuel station. The bike will hold its own on motorways, cruise quite comfortably at 65 to 70 or just wander along the D roads of the Continent. Cheap to service, cheap to insure, with a reasonable number of dealerships. Parts are cheap, too and plentiful from reliable sellers in India.
 
A bit of an odd suggestion - how about a Honda NT700V Deauville?
Comfy, very reliable, lightweight, shaft drive. It was always a suggestion for people who were intimidated by the size and weight of a Pan European. Not a thing to get excited about but would do the job admirably, and there are some well looked after examples out there too.
 
… have also toyed with the idea of a maxi scooter but I’m thinking they’re heavier and less powerful than the 500X…

You don’t do a lot of miles and enjoy riding your bicycle as much (if not more) than you enjoy riding your motorcycle; not there is anything wrong with that. Do you actually need or use ‘power’?

A Honda CB500X is what? 45 bhp or something like that. It’s not overly blessed in the Top Trumps power department, but it goes well enough. One might say, it’s a nice bike to ride. The power figure is not, on its own, necessarily any great guide to what a makes a decent two-wheeled vehicle.

You, in your mid-70’s, now (on your few excursions out) find several aspects of riding a motorcycle tiring or less than fun. Other than being bigger, heavier, with a bit more ‘power’, what will an RT bring you on the probably few occasions you’ll ride the thing? Will it be enough to take you off your bicycle? The only way for YOU to find out is to ride an RT, preferably for longer than 20 minutes.

:beerjug:
 
Last edited:
If you don’t (as a rule) do huge mileages but do like a bit of touring, try a Royal Enfield 450 Himalayan. They really are a very good motorcycle and way cheaper than the latest faddish scooters.

They’ll go for miles and miles, if you want to. Carry a reasonable amount of luggage, if that’s your thing and won’t burn your wallet at the fuel station. The bike will hold its own on motorways, cruise quite comfortably at 65 to 70 or just wander along the D roads of the Continent. Cheap to service, cheap to insure, with a reasonable number of dealerships. Parts are cheap, too and plentiful from reliable sellers in India.
Or the 450 Guerrilla.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 3
I'd not be buying one without trying it for a decent spell first...and I'd certainly it on both a F800GT as mentioned above and also look at the Honda Adv 350 scoot. Look at the trip reports on here where folk have taken them thousands of miles on the continent. More than capable of keeping up with anything on the road for 95% of the time...and lighter than the 500x you have
 
OP

There is one for sale here:


Contact the seller and see if you can have a trial go, perhaps?
He’s only testing the water ! What the fuck does that even mean ? Either it’s for sale or it’s not 🤦‍♂️
 
It would suit both parties well. The OP could ‘test the water’ as to whether an RT fulfilled his needs, whilst the seller would have ‘tested the water’ vis-a-vis selling his RT.

A win-win solution, as they (somewhat annoyingly) say; much valued in the bikermate world.
 
It would suit both parties well. The OP could ‘test the water’ as to whether an RT fulfilled his needs, whilst the seller would have ‘tested the water’ vis-a-vis selling his RT.

A win-win solution, as they (somewhat annoyingly) say; much valued in the bikermate world.
Does one of them need to bite the bullet ? 🤔
 
He’s only testing the water ! What the fuck does that even mean ? Either it’s for sale or it’s not 🤦‍♂️
It means if you are stood in front of me with £4950 in your hand then you are riding away on a really nice R1200 RT

Obviously not you though. I couldn't be arsed to sell something to a C UN T like you
 
It would suit both parties well. The OP could ‘test the water’ as to whether an RT fulfilled his needs, whilst the seller would have ‘tested the water’ vis-a-vis selling his RT.

A win-win solution, as they (somewhat annoyingly) say; much valued in the bikermate world.
Indeed
 
When I was blood biking with @casbar we had riders from probably 5’ 6”to 6’ 6” and everything in between, we tried several other brands and models in the hope that would be a bike for the majority of volunteers. The universally most popular bike was the RT.

You don’t need to spend a fortune on trying one, I bought a 2010 with complete luggage and all the goodies for £4K, although I have spent a few £ on maintenance it’s a brilliant bike with 63,000 miles on it. I’d happily ride it across Europe tomorrow.

Because my shoulder is bad I’ve been riding the RT in preference to my Multistrada.

They regularly come up on here, just wait for the bike that fits your budget or is conveniently located.
 
You don’t need to spend a fortune on trying one, I bought a 2010 with complete luggage and all the goodies for £4K,

Indeed.

The one being advertised on the forum, might well, for a modest outlay (subsidised possibly in full or in part by the sale of the CB500X) suit the OP well.

The seller is, on most measures, a reasonable bloke, as is the OP. If it suits them both to have sold and bought the RT linked in the thread above, then job done.

I can’t see any other way for the OP to find out if an RT does address his needs and wants, other than by riding one for himself. Me? I quite like the RT (though I’ve never owned one) as do 100’s of others. There again, 100’s more besides, like a FireBlade and, probably still more, like both.
 
I know this is a section for RT riders so it’s likely a lot of you will love the bike, anyway this is my problem- I’m a reasonable fit 75 year old and I’ve been on a downsizing track, from a TC 1200 GS, for a few years. None of the bikes I’ve owned since (Tracer 900, Tiger 800 and. Y current bike, a CB500X) really hit the spot when I’m on my annual bike tour that includes all sorts of roads and ride times of about 5hrs/day. Basically I’m knackered at the end of a day, and particularly if it’s been a day of motorways. I feel it’s mostly the noise. Off of motorways the 500X is fine as long as I don’t need to make many overtakes but on motorways stints of over an hour, generally at 70-80mph, I’m exhausted.

Question is would an RT, for preference a TC, be a relaxing ride and would I, as a 70kg weakling, manage its weight?

PS, I’m 5’9” and my knees don’t like being bent at tight angles.
Consider reality at 75 your biking days are getting shorter, unlike your legs, with good health, good cycling leg muscles, consider a better alternative to a huge RT.
Look at trying out a bike voted possibly the best bike still on the open market a "Honda GL1800 Goldwing" flat footed, and great road presence.
For your final bike riding days, go out in full on glory....Heavy only when pushing it, but they do have a reverse gear, that the RT does not. :unsure: They also look great.
 
Last edited:
That was one of the things that I thought was crap on the LC version... High pegs... I had a lowering kit, the US bar back arrangement and a stock high touring seat... That worked but the high pegs were not a great idea on an RT...
 
I had a 1200GS for 6 years, then a 1200R for 3. Developed back ache with the R, & changed a month ago to a R1200RT - a good price & only 10k miles up. My thinking was to not spend too much, just in case it wasn't for me. Anyway, just come back from a week in the Picos, 1700 miles, including 700 ish to/from Plymouth, Verdict, best & most comfortable long distance bike I've ever had, & handling on twisties is good. Must admit I struggled with it on a road with very tight hairpins, but other than that I'm very pleased with it. It is heavy to push around hotel carparks tho' Overall its a very good buy for me & I can see myself getting a 1250 or 1300RT when I'm done with this one.
 


Back
Top Bottom