Don’t discount a Maxi Scooter. You may well be very surprised.
… have also toyed with the idea of a maxi scooter but I’m thinking they’re heavier and less powerful than the 500X…

Or the 450 Guerrilla.If you don’t (as a rule) do huge mileages but do like a bit of touring, try a Royal Enfield 450 Himalayan. They really are a very good motorcycle and way cheaper than the latest faddish scooters.
They’ll go for miles and miles, if you want to. Carry a reasonable amount of luggage, if that’s your thing and won’t burn your wallet at the fuel station. The bike will hold its own on motorways, cruise quite comfortably at 65 to 70 or just wander along the D roads of the Continent. Cheap to service, cheap to insure, with a reasonable number of dealerships. Parts are cheap, too and plentiful from reliable sellers in India.
He’s only testing the water ! What the fuck does that even mean ? Either it’s for sale or it’s notOP
There is one for sale here:
I'm testing the water here as I've seen an R1250 GS I quite fancy and if I proceed, the RT will have to go to make space:
BMW R1200 RT 2015 registered January 2015 and purchased from this site in May 2022
Supplied by Dick Lovett Motorrad in January 2015 it's had two previous UKGSer owners (Dick the Leg & Wreck Diver)
Partial BMW service history, Valves done at 22k by Motoscot, it's had an intermediate service done since (oil & filter)
All recalls done MOT until April 2027
A couple of marks associated with use. Rich (Dick the Leg) told me he dropped the bike on the right hand...
- Nice 'n' Fat
- Replies: 16
- Forum: Other bikes and cars For Sale/Wanted
Contact the seller and see if you can have a trial go, perhaps?
Does one of them need to bite the bullet ?It would suit both parties well. The OP could ‘test the water’ as to whether an RT fulfilled his needs, whilst the seller would have ‘tested the water’ vis-a-vis selling his RT.
A win-win solution, as they (somewhat annoyingly) say; much valued in the bikermate world.
It means if you are stood in front of me with £4950 in your hand then you are riding away on a really nice R1200 RTHe’s only testing the water ! What the fuck does that even mean ? Either it’s for sale or it’s not![]()
IndeedIt would suit both parties well. The OP could ‘test the water’ as to whether an RT fulfilled his needs, whilst the seller would have ‘tested the water’ vis-a-vis selling his RT.
A win-win solution, as they (somewhat annoyingly) say; much valued in the bikermate world.
You don’t need to spend a fortune on trying one, I bought a 2010 with complete luggage and all the goodies for £4K,
Consider reality at 75 your biking days are getting shorter, unlike your legs, with good health, good cycling leg muscles, consider a better alternative to a huge RT.I know this is a section for RT riders so it’s likely a lot of you will love the bike, anyway this is my problem- I’m a reasonable fit 75 year old and I’ve been on a downsizing track, from a TC 1200 GS, for a few years. None of the bikes I’ve owned since (Tracer 900, Tiger 800 and. Y current bike, a CB500X) really hit the spot when I’m on my annual bike tour that includes all sorts of roads and ride times of about 5hrs/day. Basically I’m knackered at the end of a day, and particularly if it’s been a day of motorways. I feel it’s mostly the noise. Off of motorways the 500X is fine as long as I don’t need to make many overtakes but on motorways stints of over an hour, generally at 70-80mph, I’m exhausted.
Question is would an RT, for preference a TC, be a relaxing ride and would I, as a 70kg weakling, manage its weight?
PS, I’m 5’9” and my knees don’t like being bent at tight angles.