Charger lights?

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not been on the bike for a couple of months, went to the bike... dead as a dodo
i plugged the optimate 4 in to the dash din plug and switched the charger on.

See attached video link, ive no idea what this means, its been doing that for about an hour?
i have left it on now and will leave it on over night to see if its actually doing something.

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vr-qM1XkOSJj-a6UvtoZqR_o4g2mZehL/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Does anyone know what this means?

This morning the lights on the charger was exactly the same and the bike is still dead.

I took the side panel off the bike and swapped the din type connector off the charger and put the crocodile type clips on and put them directly on the battery.
the charger is now working.

I conclude, that if the battery is completely flat the quick connect methods through the bike dash doesn't work.
this leads me to believe that its probably not the best charging method in any situation to be honest.
If the electricity flow isn't going straight to the battery, then its not a good idea.

So after this I'm going to get the Optimate quick connect adapter and fit it straight to the battery and stop using the din connecter altogether.

Guess you have a non canbus friendly charger and tripped the canbus, fit a pig tail lead to your battery with a easy accessable plug for charging or buy a canbus specific charger (BMW)

As the battery was dead the network would not have enough energy to detect the charger and open the path to the battery,
With the battery going 0 volts , there is a chance it may not fully recover,
there must have been a drain to get it that low,
The direct charging lead can be handy for a tyre pump,i had the optimate lead just behind the front diagonal frame tube for quick access, ,

It is a Canbus charger.
Although stupidly it doesnt show what mode its in, so you never know.
Bad design IMO

Roamer, i have a double USB charger thats directly connected to the battery.
I suspect that's a drain, i am going to remove it just in case.

I will buy one of them type that fit sin the din socket on the dash for USB charging.
At least that can be unplugged easily when the bikes not in use.

Those usb do draw a small current, 8 weeks approx would explain it,
Provided the battery is ok, the bike controlled dual usb should do the trick,

My optimate 4 won't revive a flat battery via the canbus system, it has to be connected directly to the battery which looks like what's happened to you. I have a fused flying lead off the negative terminal and the positive jump post which I also use for my compressor and heated jacket.

I agree with the explanation above, if a battery is very low then you will not be able to "wake up" the accessory socket as the ECU will be dead.

the other thing to bear in mind, the optimate 4 will not go into recovery mode if the battery is on the bike. Therefore, if you have completely flattened a battery with a parasitic load as described above, you may need to disconnect the battery from the bike before it will be recovered

Thanks for your replies.

I have removed the battery from the bike and connected the charger to it.
Ive also removed the suspect USB plug.

Another thing to note, not sure if it makes any difference... But i had left the Nav6 connected to the bike all this time too?
does that drain the battery?

Anyway ive removed that too and updated the maps while im waiting on the battery charging
see attached video

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Cm6Cn07Ym7_BBALf6myKuiOVS9HRU1y/view?usp=sharing[/video]

After a short while its now flashing differently, looks like its charging finally
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/15EVp-8P-Vbve0mrUmQnmCXUwOPOk1g4p/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Im now on day 7 of charging!!!

On day 4 i was about to bin the battery and order another, but the lights had changed and looked to be actually charging the battery.
I pressed the button on the bike and the dash lit up, i tried to start the bike and nothing.

Today its lit up another light so its moving in the right direction.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15RVH6kGGKmLfvzy7UYCQCHiDi2NHdh5s/view?usp=sharing

The fact its taken 7 days is a bit much to be honest, even if my battery was in a bad way.
The temperature has been around -3 all week, maybe that has something to do with it.
The bike is in a garage, but its freezing! im gonna have to sort heating and insulation out in there this year.... anyway thats another subject.
On the plus side, the weather being as it is, -3 and icy isnt great bike riding weather... so im not missing out on much while my battery is charging

Im now on day 7 of charging!!!

On day 4 i was about to bin the battery and order another, but the lights had changed and looked to be actually charging the battery.
I pressed the button on the bike and the dash lit up, i tried to start the bike and nothing.

Today its lit up another light so its moving in the right direction.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15RVH6kGGKmLfvzy7UYCQCHiDi2NHdh5s/view?usp=sharing

The fact its taken 7 days is a bit much to be honest, even if my battery was in a bad way.
The temperature has been around -3 all week, maybe that has something to do with it.
The bike is in a garage, but its freezing! im gonna have to sort heating and insulation out in there this year.... anyway thats another subject.
On the plus side, the weather being as it is, -3 and icy isnt great bike riding weather... so im not missing out on much while my battery is charging

If you think about the chemistry of charging , the electricity goes in forces the electrodes out of equilibrium and thus stores charge. In a normal good condition battery this would happen in 3 to 4 hours. If after 7 days you battery is still getting “pushed” into equilibrium then its not going to be a long term reliable bet. I would bite the bullet and buy a new one. Days at minus 3 and flat will mean toast for most batteries.

Just my 6 penneth

Steve

Back
Top Bottom